• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Government Streamlining = Planning on Backshelf?

ecofem

Cyburbian
Here in Florida, the Governor is proposing a merger of the Department of Community Affairs (the State agency charged with overseeing Comprehensive Planning - among other things) with the Secretary of State. This proposal is being marketed as streamlining the big, bad, inefficient State government. (Florida planners, you probably already know about the public meetings taking place.)

I'm just wondering what folks in other states/municipalities/counties/countries have experienced as far as "streamlining" efforts in their respective governmental entities, and specifically how mergers (if any) have improved or compromised planning agencies/departments involved.

Does this make sense? If not, I'll try to rephrase... I haven't had my usual 2 cups of coffee today!

pandersen

Cyburbian
"Streamlining"

I have worked extrensively at the provincial level in Canada. I've been through "streamlining" in Ontario. Back in the early to mid 1990s when the Conservatives took power, they basically "gutted" provincial level planning and downloaded the function onto the municipal/countyregional level.

I work in Manitoba now and to the best of my knowledge, our province is the only one remaining that continues to provide planning advice and assistance to municipalities other than the City of Winnipeg that has it's own Charter.

H

Cyburbian
I attended the DCA conference in May, interesting. The changes could actually be for better or worse. I will be out of town during the Bonita Springs meeting (closest to Miami), but if you attend a meeting (or anyone else) please post an update.

ecofem

Cyburbian
The Orlando meeting is tomorrow, which I will be attending. I'll let you know how it turns out... I'm trying not to be too cynical.