• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Government waste at its best

donk

Cyburbian
I doubt that there is anything that can compare to our gun registry system.

Original budget estimate - $2 million, actual cost to date/final estimate for implementation 1 billion dollars. that is to register about 3 million guns.

They spent nearly 60 million on computers for it.

Here is a related news story:

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/CBC/2002/12/03/auditorgun021203

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I looked under Ohio and I didn't see anything that looked too bad. Most of it looked like it would be useful spending.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We made the list locally. A half million bucks for technology at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater. I am not so sure I would call this waste.

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
I doubt that there is anything that can compare to our gun registry system.

Original budget estimate - $2 million, actual cost to date/final estimate for implementation 1 billion dollars. that is to register about 3 million guns.

They spent nearly 60 million on computers for it.

Here is a related news story:

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/CBC/2002/12/03/auditorgun021203
Donk,
Living in a counrty with gun registration must give you some perspective. Can you tell us how the system works and if it is acomplishing its goals?

donk

Cyburbian
EG,

You are kidding right?

We have had owner registration since the mid 70's for long guns and owner and firearm registration for hand guns since the 30's. (Sorry if the dates are wrong., that is what I have heard and kind of remember)

The goals of gun registration here are two fold - to reduce gun related crime, and to have a system in place to have harsh sentences for those in possession of illegal guns and/or commit crimes with guns.

Who knows if it is working? They still have not registered all of the fire arms as many typically law abiding people are refusing to register due to the invasion of privacy registration allows. (ie police may search your house at any time to see if your guns are stored properly and any other illegal things they find are fair game too)

This issue is really an urban vs rural issue and plays on those sensibilities. Since the Liberals seat of power is southern Ontario (urban) the law was written for that area, forgetting that many people need guns for every day living. As an example, my parent's got rid of their chickens( well a fox did) as dad gave up his guns and was not able to shoot the thieving animal.

This issue is way to big to discuss on this forum, I expect there are forums related directly to this item out there.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
We made the list locally. A half million bucks for technology at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater. I am not so sure I would call this waste.
Yeah, whatever. Half a mill for UW-W should be spent to keep drunk nineteen-somethings from swimming in the fountain at 3am. (god, I must be getting old for saying something like that!)

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
EG,

You are kidding right?
Nope, not kidding. I wanted to hear from someone who is living under a governmental system where society looks at individual rights differently. Notice the lack of baiting and trooling. I was just curious how it worked up there in the GWN.

SGB

Cyburbian
There's pork, and then there is your pork.

Funding for a regional state highway transportation corridor study that includes my county in NY state is on the list.

donk

Cyburbian
EG, what i meant was that you where kidding that it was working.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I didn't see my personal pet peeve on there, the Wisconsin Tobacco Control Board, which has a budget of 15 million just to tell people that smoking is bad for you. The budget used to bbe much higher (30-40 million, I believe). Look, if you smoke, you know the dangers. I don't like 15 million dollars of tax money being spent for anti-smoking programs. This type of education should be left up to parents, not government.

SGB

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
I don't like 15 million dollars of tax money being spent for anti-smoking programs. /B]

Isn't that funded by the Tobacco Settlement $$$ from Phillip Morriss & friends, rather than tax dollars?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SGB said:
Isn't that funded by the Tobacco Settlement $$$ from Phillip Morriss & friends, rather than tax dollars?
It was, but Wisconsin's budget crisis "forced" our legislature and former governor to borrow against future tobacco payments. Essentially, they took multiple years worth of settlement money and used it to fix ONE YEAR of the state's budget.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'd like to thank my representatives for the $69.45 in per capita pork that came my way.

At least our $27 million in transportation pork was all for alternative transportation projects - rehab of historic rr depot into intermodal trans facility (across the street from me), regional bikeway (out our office window), water ferries, cleaner buses etc.

el Guapo

Capitalist
[ot]
On the smoking thing: Some of that money should have been allocated to help current smokers quit. They could have provided smoking cessation classes, patches, and antidepressants and so on.. However, that could have worked against the overall settlement ammount of the crack cocaine of government: Tobacco.

There is not one dollar going to help current addicts quit. There is all kinds of money going out to help prevent future smokers, but we all know that is just their way of pandering to the PC. The suits were always about raping a cash cow.

Governments are acting like street Ho's to get that next tobacco check. They are shaking down a legal industry. If you want to punish them and rob them then at least have the courtesty to make their product illegal.

It is truly, an embarrassing thing for governments at all levels to pander to the anti smoking interests all the while they suck at the teat of R.J. Reynolds and others. As I have said before, if we were really serious about taking out the number one killer of Americans we would be bombing North Carolina right now.
(sorry Jessie Helms)
[/ot]

Repo Man

Cyburbian
SGB said:
That is my whole problem with the system. There is this mentality that if we have the money, we need to find ways to spend it, instead of looking at how that money could be used to reduce tax burden. In Milwaukee there has been this ongoing debate about light rail and one of the arguments used by the pro-light rail people is that "if we don't spend the money on this we will lose millions in federal dollars."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Yeah, whatever. Half a mill for UW-W should be spent to keep drunk nineteen-somethings from swimming in the fountain at 3am. (god, I must be getting old for saying something like that!)
Yeah, and you are a bit too old to be masquerading as a nineteen-year-old, too. Come on, now, get out of the damn fountain!

Donk makes a very good point about rural vs. urban and gun ownership. A gun in the city is a weapon. A gun in the country is a tool. I was outside on Saturday afternoon setting things on fire and heard a shot fired. I didn't think anything of it. In the city, it would probably mean some gang-banger doing a drive-by. The target in the country might be a raccoon, rat, fox or some other varmint. I don't think most urban people realise the differences that exist.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Yeah, and you are a bit too old to be masquerading as a nineteen-year-old, too. Come on, now, get out of the damn fountain!
For the record, I was 23 and should have known better. I had cuts and scrapes from the thorn bushes for a week after that incident, which was only made worse by the three block long walking vomit I did on the way back to my brother in law's apartment.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I don't get it. Money for schools, libraries, at-risk youth programs... THIS is wasteful spending??

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Mud Princess said:
I don't get it. Money for schools, libraries, at-risk youth programs... THIS is wasteful spending??
I agree....there are lots of GOOD programs in there...for example in NH:

$250,000 - White Island Lighthouse, Portsmouth (Historic Preservation Fund - National Park Service)

$400,000 - New Hampshire Department of Public Safety to provide equipment and technology to ten small law enforcement agencies (Technology Program - Community Oriented Policing Services)

$450,000 - Portsmouth Riverwalk in Portsmouth to assist in the creation of a safe pedestrian link between scenic and historical destinations and New Hampshire's only working deep water seaport (EDI)

$486,000 - City of Concord for facilities construction of the Sears Block Redevelopment project (Economic Development Initiative)

$500,000 - Concord 20/20 Vision initiative (Transportation and Community and System Pilot Preservation Program - Federal Highway Administration)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Funding for schools, libraries, etc is good.. overfunding them is bad....Because it takes away money for things that are really worth it. There has to be a balance between use or need and funds for it.

BKM

Cyburbian
But what is this "balance" and "overfunding you are talking about. To a certain extent, its a subjective definition. And, that means"political decision." Even "burden of taxation" is a subjective, political decision.

I have no children. An "objective" decision for me would be to cut my taxes because I don't use the schools. Schools are "government waste." Some people might feel that a bicycle path used by ten persons per day should not be funded. I would use the path, so I would disagree.

In the end, a list like this simply reflects the biases of the people preparing it. It has no objective value.

donk

Cyburbian
BKM observed that
In the end, a list like this simply reflects the biases of the people preparing it. It has no objective value.
When talking about bellying up to the trough, it does have objective value. In some areas it is not as easy as it is here to connect people to politics to money. Here is an example from my location, and I agree with the spending but am offended by the "pork" aspect of it.

1) Project funded by the provincial government's environmental trust fund (ETF).
2) Activity is occurring in the minister's riding that is in charge of the the ETF.
3) Foreman/Consultant to the project is the minister's father and other family members are doing the work.

I have many more examples like this.

BKM

Cyburbian
Heck, Donk. It sounds like San Francisco. :)

We don't usually have such direct conflict of interest.

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
Donk,
Living in a counrty with gun registration must give you some perspective. Can you tell us how the system works and if it is acomplishing its goals?
Even if they control guns... there are still other weapons around here that are used more than I ever noticed in the States. Edmonton just had it's fourth machete attack since I've lived here. I don't *ever* recall someone being hacked up with a machete when I lived in the States (at least not in the cities I lived in). Too weird!

donk

Cyburbian
...there are still other weapons around here that are used more than I ever noticed in the States
Don't forget about chainsaws. We lost an appeal because a neighbour chased a property owners husband with a chainsaw

jmf

Cyburbian
donk said:
Don't forget about chainsaws. We lost an appeal because a neighbour chased a property owners husband with a chainsaw
Hey, what about the snow banks? The police in certain areas of Canada seem to have a thing for dropping people into snow banks instead of taking them to the drunk tank.