• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

School: USA (general) 🇺🇸 Graduate/PhD 2018-2019 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Hey guys, starting this thread for those who are applying for admission to the Fall 2018-2019 year.

Stats:

GPA: 3.63
GRE: 156V/153Q/5.0
Experience: 9 months with a consulting firm working with different city planning departments on community development projects, 1.5 years working for the government as a research assistant, and currently working as an English teacher in Russia.

Applying to:

USC
UCLA
UC-Berkeley
PSU
UIC
UIUC

Anxious! Extremely worried about my low GRE scores... Hopefully the next few months will bring good news.

Acceptances so far..

Guess it's just me talking to myself here haha. Maybe my posts will help other people.

So far--

Accepted:

USC - Accepted. Waiting on aid package in the mail, but I live in Russia, so hopefully it survives the terrible postal service.. will probably take a while to get to me.. :/
UIUC- Accepted with $15,000 for both years
UC Berkeley- Waitlisted. Surprised I didn't get completely rejected. Will find out waitlist ranking in March.

Waiting on:
Portland State
UIC
UCLA

De_Facto_Fish

I think you'll be fine my friend. My GRE was 160 verbal and 148 quant and I am at Cornell now (UCLA didn't let me in though).

Newcomb15

I've spent a few years lurking on these admissions threads, now it's time to contribute...

GPA: 3.0 overall, but a sharp upward trend with a 3.6ish for my last four semesters which included several graduate courses. I also took a graduate level city planning course at a local university this past year and received a 4.0.
GRE: 161V/155Q/4.5
Experience: two summer internships in active transportation and GIS during undergrad, some practical coursework in real estate development, 2.5 years full time work in nonprofit development,

Accepted so far (and waiting on funding):
Boston University
Georgia Tech
Tufts

Still waiting on:
UCLA
Rutgers
MIT
Harvard

So far I could not be more thrilled with Georgia Tech but it'll really all depend on funding and how costly of a move that would be. I have low low low housing costs since I'm living with family in the Boston area, so that's an instant strike right there against going out of state. I'm anxious to find out but strangely not at all stressed about what the future holds. We'll see what happens!

BosBGM

Grateful

GPA: 3.0, but upward trend during last two years of undergrad
GRE: ... average at best
Experience: some work in non profit development.

Accepted:
University of Oregon
Cornell University... a shocker!!! Excited
Boston University
Harvard University... totally unexpected!!! But I am grateful

Waiting:
University of Pennsylvania
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of California - Los Angeles

Congrats on all your acceptances!!!

Newcomb15

Rejected from Harvard. In at Rutgers and Tufts. I applied to Tufts part time and have been awarded a small scholarship per course. Hoping for a more compelling funding offer soon...

BosBGM

GPA: 3.0, but upward trend during last two years of undergrad
GRE: ... average at best
Experience: some work in non profit development.

Accepted:
University of Oregon
Cornell University... a shocker!!! Excited
Boston University
Harvard University... totally unexpected!!! But I am grateful

Waiting:
University of Pennsylvania
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of California - Los Angeles

Congrats on all your acceptances!!!

Rejected from MIT

update

Hey guys, starting this thread for those who are applying for admission to the Fall 2018-2019 year.

Stats:

GPA: 3.63
GRE: 156V/153Q/5.0
Experience: 9 months with a consulting firm working with different city planning departments on community development projects, 1.5 years working for the government as a research assistant, and currently working as an English teacher in Russia.

Applying to:

USC
UCLA
UC-Berkeley
PSU
UIC
UIUC

Anxious! Extremely worried about my low GRE scores... Hopefully the next few months will bring good news.

UCLA: Accepted
UC-Berkeley: Waitlisted
USD: Accepted
PSU: Accepted
UIC: Accepted
UIUD: Accepted

Pretty sure I'll be heading to UCLA for international development.