• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Grain Elevator Reuse

What would you reuse this building for?

  • Brewery sounds good

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Hotel

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other commercial use (explain)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other industrial use (explain)

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Knock the eyesore down!

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Just tell me when it opens, I want free beer!!!

    Votes: 5 21.7%

  • Total voters
    23
Messages
37
Points
2
Possible Ideas

Was just thinking about the visual appeal of this massive building and given its location I think it would make a great concert/live performance area. Some of the coolest attractions are ones that have unique and bizare uses. Given the acces from the road and other surrounding uses in the area this could be an ideal site for a night club as well (building off the palcement of a big neon sign!). :8:
 

Cullen

Member
Messages
33
Points
2
These are so giant, it seems that an industrial use would be the only thing possible. If they made it into a hotel who would want to stay there unless there were windows. This could make a mega brewery to put some big companies out of business. The problem with industrial use is that each industry always likes to have their own buildings.

I think it could turn into a personal storage building (like uhaul storage) and also a test site for crash tests and drop tests for cars and consumer products. There is just so much space! How about an indoor amuzement park / maze spanning multiple levels with interconnecting tubes and passageways.
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,463
Points
25
Cullen said:
These are so giant, it seems that an industrial use would be the only thing possible. If they made it into a hotel who would want to stay there unless there were windows. This could make a mega brewery to put some big companies out of business. The problem with industrial use is that each industry always likes to have their own buildings.

If you were to put a hotel in the building, windows could be cut into the building. Its been done with other grain elevators. I'm not quite sure what you meant in the last 2 sentences.
 

martini

Cyburbian
Messages
678
Points
19
I think his piont was that you make a HUGE McDonalds style adult maze. You know with the balls and everything. Mix it in with paint ball and you've got one hella playground.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,069
Points
34
An idea is beginning to gel here - a hotel/conference/entertainment complex, with multiple activites including a microbrewery, maze, climbing walls, retail (I would expect) and other activities. Can you put in a marina on the river for people to come by boat? Maybe you could even offer dinner cruises.
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,463
Points
25
Cardinal said:
Can you put in a marina on the river for people to come by boat? Maybe you could even offer dinner cruises.

The building is right on the river. Boats used to pull right up to the building to unload grain. Yep the buildings so huge you could do a lot with it.
 

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Messages
1,037
Points
23
You know, large, tube-shaped buildings built right on a river just scream Goonies -style water slides to me. Add some good beer.....now that's a good time.
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,699
Points
24
Rumpy Tuna said:
The building is right on the river. Boats used to pull right up to the building to unload grain. Yep the buildings so huge you could do a lot with it.


Marketing Idea for you, when you get the #2 bar set up and want that affluent crowd from 26 to 45, build this along your existing lakeship boatslip:

Rumpy's Deep Water Tap

"Fine Food For Local and Visiting Boaters"
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,463
Points
25
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Marketing Idea for you, when you get the #2 bar set up and want that affluent crowd from 26 to 45, build this along your existing lakeship boatslip:

Rumpy's Deep Water Tap

"Fine Food For Local and Visiting Boaters"

Sounds like an idea, the wall on the water goes for the entire lenght of the building so you can tie a lot of boats along it. As for water slides, I don't know how many people want to be swimming in the river, but it would be fun.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,069
Points
34
Rumpy Tuna said:
Sounds like an idea, the wall on the water goes for the entire lenght of the building so you can tie a lot of boats along it. As for water slides, I don't know how many people want to be swimming in the river, but it would be fun.

No, you want an indoor water park that can be open all year, and provide an extra reason for people to book a hotel room for the night and eat at your restaurants.
 

Nemesis

Member
Messages
51
Points
4
Grain Elevators

I remember someone from Buffalo was asking about Elevator/Silo reuse. The Baltimore Sun has an article discussing the approval of one such project here in Charm City.

sorry, I coulnd/t find the thread.

Mod Edit (nerudite): Thread merged.
 
Messages
2
Points
0
Need of public support

Yes, I am a born and breed Buffalonian. One who cares greatly about our deep history and uncertain future. Since my younger years, I have taken great interest in the grain elevators especially with my photography endeavors.
What I really need to know is, what are the tax incentives and grants that are given out for such a project as reusing these elevators. Has anyone truly made sincere efforts as to experimenting with alternate uses in the Buffalo area. Please let me know of any articles that may pertain to this matter. Any help would be wonderful.

As for the city of Buffalo itself, I would love to hear any thoughts, comments, suggestions whether bad or good about the overall attitude of the city.

-Thanks to all
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,201
Points
26
This thread ran before I discovered Cyburbia, but the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing that elevator's image is 'upscale condomini(m)ums'. :)

There is an apartment complex on Appleton's southeast side (very typical 1980s design) where the developer incorporated a concrete silo from the site's former farm into one of the buildings. The developer created a bedroom on each of two floors inside of the silo, although I do not know how much more/month those two units go for. Very interesting.

Mike
 
Messages
2
Points
0
Not a bad idea!

mgk920 said:
This thread ran before I discovered Cyburbia, but the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing that elevator's image is 'upscale condomini(m)ums'. :)

There is an apartment complex on Appleton's southeast side (very typical 1980s design) where the developer incorporated a concrete silo from the site's former farm into one of the buildings. The developer created a bedroom on each of two floors inside of the silo, although I do not know how much more/month those two units go for. Very interesting.

Mike

Mike,

The grain elevators would give a deco feel, which is so attractive these days.
Thanks for the great reuse idea. Ideas are found to be free flowing, but the problem arises when there is a lack of motivation and political flaws. will there ever be a time when the great minds meet and act on building reuse plans?

thanks again
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,463
Points
25
Currently, the plan for this specific grain elevator is to do.................nothing. In the city's new comprehensive plan, this site falls into a green zone, or unprotected yet open green space. You can query their website for the property, the last time I checked it was valued at $125,000.

There has been calls to demolish it, although the costs would be high due to all the reinforced concrete. I remember somebody wanted to put a prision in there, but of course they were from NYC. Last good idea I heard was to make it a brewery ;)

But then again there are access issues as the site is stuck in the middle of CSX rail right of ways.
 
Top