• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Grain Elevator Reuse

What would you reuse this building for?

• Brewery sounds good

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Hotel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other commercial use (explain)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other industrial use (explain)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Knock the eyesore down!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Just tell me when it opens, I want free beer!!!

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

jordanb

Cyburbian
I know metro Buffalo is declining (I just finished reading High Hopes), but how is the city doing? From what I understand, central cities even in metros with declining populations like Cincinatti are looking up. If so, maybe there are loft possibilities. I'm assuming this grain elevator isn't a brownfield, how about the areas around it? And if so, how much will it cost to clean them up? Is all the industry around it abandoned or are there still active operations there?

The trump card that hasn't been discussed is the structural layout of the building. I assume it's just a series of tall tubes. Is it possible to nock the internal walls of the tubes out to make large internal spaces (if you're going for lofts, the tubes might be big enough as they are), cut holes in the exterior walls for windows, and still have enough structural integrity to support new floors? The building may not be worth adapting. I suppose you'll need an engineering study to answer those questions.

jordanb said:
I know metro Buffalo is declining (I just finished reading High Hopes), but how is the city doing? From what I understand, central cities even in metros with declining populations like Cincinatti are looking up. If so, maybe there are loft possibilities. I'm assuming this grain elevator isn't a brownfield, how about the areas around it? And if so, how much will it cost to clean them up? Is all the industry around it abandoned or are there still active operations there?

The trump card that hasn't been discussed is the structural layout of the building. I assume it's just a series of tall tubes. Is it possible to nock the internal walls of the tubes out to make large internal spaces (if you're going for lofts, the tubes might be big enough as they are), cut holes in the exterior walls for windows, and still have enough structural integrity to support new floors? The building may not be worth adapting. I suppose you'll need an engineering study to answer those questions.
The city itself is in a fiscal mess (Gots us a control board), but there is some hope. Lofts are being put into abandoned buildings.
Area surrounding is brownfields and existing industrial businesses.
You can actually walk in side the building, sounds like its time for a field trip so I can get some pics.

Ok, I think I remember a plan for a grain structure in 1980. I remember visiting the site and seeing a model of apartments.

2. Brew Pub? Buffalo? Didn/t the crazy economic development folks loan millions to the owners of the one on Main Street and Chippewa with no personal guanantees or comittments and they skipped with the money over night?

3. Someone is planning adaptive reuse for a grain elevator in Baltimore. I would search The Baltimore Sun on line for the article.

Is this a MUP studio project at UB?

Area where elevator is located.

Nemesis said:

Is this a MUP studio project at UB?
No I don't go to U.B.

Empire Brewing is probally the brewery your thinking of, although breckanridge brewing bailed out before them.

[mod note] posts merged [/mod note]

tsc

Cyburbian
OhioPlanner said:
Akron, Ohio converted its grain silos into a really nice hotel/conference center
wow...just checked that out...pretty cool.

Up the Hudson by Downtown is a restaurant constructed in oil tanks...

Possible Ideas

Was just thinking about the visual appeal of this massive building and given its location I think it would make a great concert/live performance area. Some of the coolest attractions are ones that have unique and bizare uses. Given the acces from the road and other surrounding uses in the area this could be an ideal site for a night club as well (building off the palcement of a big neon sign!). :8:

These are so giant, it seems that an industrial use would be the only thing possible. If they made it into a hotel who would want to stay there unless there were windows. This could make a mega brewery to put some big companies out of business. The problem with industrial use is that each industry always likes to have their own buildings.

I think it could turn into a personal storage building (like uhaul storage) and also a test site for crash tests and drop tests for cars and consumer products. There is just so much space! How about an indoor amuzement park / maze spanning multiple levels with interconnecting tubes and passageways.

Cullen said:
These are so giant, it seems that an industrial use would be the only thing possible. If they made it into a hotel who would want to stay there unless there were windows. This could make a mega brewery to put some big companies out of business. The problem with industrial use is that each industry always likes to have their own buildings.
If you were to put a hotel in the building, windows could be cut into the building. Its been done with other grain elevators. I'm not quite sure what you meant in the last 2 sentences.

martini

Cyburbian
I think his piont was that you make a HUGE McDonalds style adult maze. You know with the balls and everything. Mix it in with paint ball and you've got one hella playground.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
An idea is beginning to gel here - a hotel/conference/entertainment complex, with multiple activites including a microbrewery, maze, climbing walls, retail (I would expect) and other activities. Can you put in a marina on the river for people to come by boat? Maybe you could even offer dinner cruises.

Cardinal said:
Can you put in a marina on the river for people to come by boat? Maybe you could even offer dinner cruises.
The building is right on the river. Boats used to pull right up to the building to unload grain. Yep the buildings so huge you could do a lot with it.

You know, large, tube-shaped buildings built right on a river just scream Goonies -style water slides to me. Add some good beer.....now that's a good time.

Rumpy Tuna said:
The building is right on the river. Boats used to pull right up to the building to unload grain. Yep the buildings so huge you could do a lot with it.

Marketing Idea for you, when you get the #2 bar set up and want that affluent crowd from 26 to 45, build this along your existing lakeship boatslip:

Rumpy's Deep Water Tap

"Fine Food For Local and Visiting Boaters"

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Marketing Idea for you, when you get the #2 bar set up and want that affluent crowd from 26 to 45, build this along your existing lakeship boatslip:

Rumpy's Deep Water Tap

"Fine Food For Local and Visiting Boaters"
Sounds like an idea, the wall on the water goes for the entire lenght of the building so you can tie a lot of boats along it. As for water slides, I don't know how many people want to be swimming in the river, but it would be fun.