• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Great mixers

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Rum & Coke is one of the most well-known mixed drinks, but are there other mixer combos you like (or drank irresponsibly in your youth?).

My FIL was appalled one time when I mixed Vernor's with Jameson's ("you're mixing whiskey with sody pop? Don't you know sody pop is a kiddie drink!")

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I like to mix Vernor's with Canadian Club. When we were drinking that at my house one day, my buddy named it "The Ambassador" for the Ambassador Bridge connecting Detroit (Vernor's) with Windsor (Canadian Club).

In my youth, some of us (never me of course ;) ) would mix Zima with Jolly Ranchers. Does that count?

AG74683

Cyburbian
My recent favorite is to take one of those small apple juice bottles, something akin to THIS and take out and reserve about half the bottle. I refill it with a shot of GOOD rum and a shot of GOOD vodka and load it up with a few ice cubes and shake. It's pretty good, as long as you use quality liquor. Anything cheap and you'll taste it.

I've also been making my own summer shandy beer this summer. Get a can of cheapo light beer, a shot of vodka, and some sparkling water (lime flavored works best, Pellegrino is what I've been using). Really refreshing.

I did vodka and gin rickys the other night. A shot of gin or vodka (whatever you have on hand), some of that sparkling lime water you just bought, some lime juice, and I was squirting in a little blackberry cherry Mio. It was pretty good.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just go for the old fashioned and whiskey sour. My friend mixed bourbon with wine. We took the bourbon away from him.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
7 and 7 !

I drink much less than I used to.
That's usually my go to when I am at the bar and don't want beer (which is seldom). We do the Vernors and Canadian Club at home because we almost always have Vernors on hand. I cannot recall the last time I bought 7Up.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Coke with bourbon. Never pepsi.:victory: I also like Sun-drop and bourbon. I also like bourbon by itself too.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
gin and limeade

Barcelona sangria - 1 bottle of orange dry soda, one bottle of prosecco, 1/3 cup gin, 1/3 cup Cointreau or Triple Sec over ice with cut up fruit

gin and tonic (boodles or Beefeater, Tanqueray is too sweet for me)

gin or tequila with key west lime juice over ice

[OT]wth is Vernor's btw[/OT]

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Tequila and squirt!

Seriously though, vodka and tonic with a splash of spindrift grapefruit

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
[OT]wth is Vernor's btw[/OT]
Ginger Ale, dahlink!

It's flavor aged in oak barrels for 4 years (at least it was until they stopped sweetening it with stevia and switched to high fructose corn syrup.

Folks might not use it in mixed drinks very often but you've had Vernor's if you've ever enjoyed a Boston Cooler at an ice cream store.

Planit

Cyburbian
Turkey Dew - wild turkey & man dew
Vodka cranberry - it's a heathy drink because of the cranberry juice right?
Gin & ginger

I mainly a beer snob though

Planit

Cyburbian
Sorry for the double post but I just saw this and it was too good!!!

Perhaps the most useful official Gov’t Engineering Drawing I’ve ever reviewed.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/7035823

“The diagram, created by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service in 1974, spells out exactly how to create some of the most common cocktails around.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention
with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequila.”
- Mitch Ratcliffe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like the Salty Dog - gin and grapefruit juice in a salted rim glass (no salt and it's a greyhound)

AG74683

Cyburbian
How about the "dark N' stormy"?

Dark rum (I use Myers because it's easy to get and cheap)
Ginger beer (NOT ginger ale, they are different!)
Dash of bitters
Splash of lime juice

The name Dark 'N Stormy (one apostrophe) is actually trademarked by Gosling Brothers, so it's not technically a real Dark 'N Stormy unless it uses Gosling Bros. dark rum and ginger beer. The non-trademarked version is the "Dark 'N' Stormy" or a "Safe Harbor". Same thing, you just won't get sued over it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Turkey Dew - wild turkey & man dew
Vodka cranberry - it's a heathy drink because of the cranberry juice right?
Gin & ginger

I mainly a beer snob though
Sorry, but I'm not drinking ANYTHING with "man dew". :-c8-!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I once went to a mixer hosted by a couple sororities at UNC Wilmington for single Marines from Camp Lejeune. A bunch of Marines a bunch of sorority girls, and an open bar at a hotel ballroom... Now that was a great mixer!! :a:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Our easy go to cocktail at home is a bourbon and ginger ale.