• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Whatever 🗣 Great Technological Advances of Civilization

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I even have caller ID and sometimes... ...boy is it hard to pick up that phone.

Callers who I know have a hard time respecting my limits (like, I tell them I can talk for 10 minutes but then I have a meeting to go to...) roll to voicemail.

Yep. I have a couple of people who call me at work on occasion and when I see their name or number pop up in the caller ID, I always let them go to voicemail.

Thankfully since I'm working from home, I only even check my office voicemail once every 2 weeks (FWIW, even in normal times, 99% of people trying to contact me is done via email or them popping into my office if they are a coworker).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

The wheel, fire, agriculture, electricity, flight, and now caller ID. Despite all the wars and plagues that have affected our species, there is still encouraging proof that human civilization is advancing. We are truly standing on the shoulders of giants! I recall the days yore as I was born in the year 23 BC (Before Caller id)

yeah, I'll pretty much answer the home phone (VOIP landline) if it's a family member and I'm feeling well disposed but otherwise I'd estimate 95% of calls go straight to voicemail.

Work, unfortunately, gives us much less discretion when to pick up or not. Even so, there are times I decide Not that developer. Not today.

kms

Cyburbian
I can't tell you how much mindless chit chat I avoided when I could text my kids that I was outside and ready to pick them up from a friend's house. It sure beat knocking on the front door to say I was there.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
On emails, there are some I don't respond to, esp. when it's a blast to me and a bunch of my staff. Some, I "snooze" for later because if all I did was answer emails as they came in all day, I have no remaining control over prioritizing my tasks.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Email frustrates me more than phone calls. There seems to be a somewhat more consensus view (at least in the working world) that when you call about something there is more urgency behind it. If I need something quickly, I call that person and then only include the email if it's complicated and needs to be spelled out, or I need to play the CYA game. I appreciate that for the most part, what's said in a phone conversation doesn't necessarily have to follow you for weeks or months afterwards (e.g. "per your message on xx/xx/xxxx..." :mad:). I'm also pretty lucky that I don't get a ton of calls most days, only in that context does calling for something urgent make sense.

There seems to be a much wider and more disparate range of expectations when it comes to email. Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the red exclamation mark being included on an otherwise routine message (maybe the ongoing read receipt messages from senders whose emails I really don't need to read are a good runner up). Thanks to smart phones, a lot of higher ups will request information while they are in a meeting and therefore will need it immediately, so trying to be regimented about only checking emails at specific times of the day can go out the window (again I'm very lucky to not be in that situation every day, I have been in roles like that before and it can be soul crushing).

Other people seem to treat email just like an instant messenger, again probably assuming that I will respond to whatever they sent instantly. And then, of course, a lot of people just don't respond to my emails even when I am explicitly asking them for something. I guess they hope I'll just go away or move on to ask someone else.

So, when things are really busy and it's crunch time, I just call or drop in (but nowadays I just call).