• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Greater Philly Area Move

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
The other day, we found out that we are being transferred from DC to the Philly area. I do not know the are at all and do not know even where to begin to look for housing. Does anyone have any suggestions? We can live an hour outside of Philly if we find a great place. Right now, I have been focusing on DE since it does not have state income tax, but the crime rate seems to be a little on the high side. Help, please.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Movies to avoid in Philly

I kind of like Doylestown. It is a bit far north, but the train does stop there. Just DON’T WATCH THE MOVIE “SIGNS” If you locate to old city Philly, I would avoid seeing the move “The sixth since”

Other than that, there are a lot of areas in South Philly that I really like.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Thanks for the info. The two towns have some character and possibilities. Does anyone know about some small towns on the NJ side too?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Trail Nazi said:
Thanks for the info. The two towns have some character and possibilities. Does anyone know about some small towns on the NJ side too?
I have friends in Collingswood, NJ. She works as a nurse in Philly, pm shift. They like the area quite well.

The commute from Jersey to Philly can be wretched, and I hate being in traffic stuck on a bridge (there's a name for this phobia but I can't remember it). Also, housing in Jersey is quite high and taxes are also. Relative to PA, I can't say. But my mom paid outrageous property taxes in Jersey until she retired and moved to New Hampshire 2 yrs ago.

Tom R

Cyburbian
move

I lived in Delaware for 9 years. Parts of Wilmington are ok. A lot depends on your housing budget. Amtrak does go from Wilmington to Philadelphia if your so inclined.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
I lived in Bryn Mawr during the Summer of 2002--it was cute, safe, right down the road from Villanova and Haverford and home to Bryn Mawr College, of course. Upscale college towns. Anywhere on the Main Line is nice, but tends to be a little pricey. I also found SEPTA to be just OK--not the most efficient commuter rail, but it works and is comparably priced to the Metro North, LIRR, and the MARC. I guess it depends on whether or not you want to live in the city or in the burbs--76 (blue route) and 476 (PA turnpike) are really busy roads all the time and they're the main roads to bring you north or west of the city. Manyunk seems to be a nice compromise--it's a suburb, but it's an older suburb and it's right outside the city lines--has it's own brew pub (my fave micro-brew is the Schuykill Punch) and is an area that attracts a lot of young people. Chestnut Hill is also a really pretty area of Philly--historic too. Hope that helps!! I left DC in May and I miss it a lot. Albany just doesn't have the same flair...