• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Greatest TV Cartoon Character

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
As kiddies, we all watched tons of television cartoons on Saturday mornings. However, Saturday mornings today are just not the same. In your opinion, simply name the greatest television cartoon character ever developed to date.

My toss up is between Fat Albert and Speed Racer. My vote goes to Fat Albert.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Fat Albert has a lot of "Philly" in him... Many references due to Cosby.

The coolest cartoon character has to be the Pink Panther... He was just smooth.

Tom R

Cyburbian
tc

Mastiff said:
Fat Albert has a lot of "Philly" in him... Many references due to Cosby.

The coolest cartoon character has to be the Pink Panther... He was just smooth.

Top Cat was pretty cool too. "Exit stage left, even." Or was that Snagglepuss. I get my kitties confused.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Plastic Man and Thndar the Barbarian. Ace and Gary on SNL come in a close second, even though they are on late saturday night.

kms

Cyburbian
Bugs Bunny. But Tom and Jerry have the best music. I'll turn on that show just to hear the music.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I always liked Cecil the Seamonster (of course not when it was originally aired). Also, Bullwinkle is great...

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I always liked Cecil the Seamonster (of course not when it was originally aired).

Showing my age. I liked it when it was originally aired.

Also loved Garry Anderson "Supermarionation" shows like Stingray, SuperCar, Fireball XL5 and the Thunderbirds (yes, I know that they weren't cartoons in the strictest sense, but how many non-cartoons starred puppets with the strings showing? Using that logic, you would have to leave out H. R. Pufnstuf and Sigmond and the Sea Monsters, which is inimical to the spirit of this thread).

And of course, Davey and Goliath.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Shaggy and Scooby the cartoon stoners.

Does anyone else think Fred was a bit feminine in that neckerchief? I mean, he never got down with Daphne, either...

And Velma was the only one with any sense at all, how many times should she have slapped the rest of them?

otterpop

Cyburbian
Pepi LePew. Though in the PC days, you don't see much of him. He was a stalker and unrepentent sexual harrasser. But you could say his cartoons were an allegory for racial tolerance. After all, all the females he chased unsuccessfully were of another species (race). Pepi did not see that. He was driven strictly by amour. He was a pretty sauve but dense skunk.

donk

Cyburbian
The Tick
GP from Hammy Hamster
Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Ascots are masculine ;) and Fred should have been pounding Daphne.
The Beagles of Hanna Barbara cartoons (Doggy Daddy?)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Right now I would have to say Homer Simpson and Cartman.
Back in the day I really liked Underdog.

Being a child of the eighties, most of the cartoons of my youth were just half hour toy ads. The best of those was undeniably Optimus Prime.