• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Greetings Fellow Humans

Just splattered in from orbit and new to the forums, added a few scars to this battered old transportation planners' body during re-entry. Nothing that won't heal, rest assured.

I may be one of six or seven bicycle commuters in the State of Mississippi. :p Been doing the plannin' thang since 1987, when the University of Iowa booted me out of Iowa City with a MA in Urban and Regional Planning with an emphasis in Transportation Studies. I have a BA in English from Iowa as well, which means I am well-trained to write lengthy documents That Sound Really Super Important.

Worked at all levels of gov't except local and did a couple of private sector gigs hopscotching through the states of South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Virginia. Got sucked in by the feds in Virginia in '95 and promoted to Mississippi in '99. Love it here, love the hot weather, love the fried food.

Got two stepoffspring (15 and 13, g/b) and two offsping (3 1/2 and 1 1/2, b/g). Wife and stepdaughter are horse crazy and have three of them critters. We've also got four cats (1 inside, 2 out, 1 at the barn) and two dogs. We even have a website if you're really bored:

http://www.thehouseofchaos.net

Very little of planning importance posted there but lots of cutesy icky family pics :D

Looking forward to jumping in and trying not to do it headfirst.

SAC

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...what's with the sudden influx of transportation planners? Not that I'm complaining...

Welcome ANS!

Sudden influxes

I think we were all stuck in traffic... but NOW we're here!

How come there are so many cool people from Ca-n-a-d--a on the web, eh?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Another Non Sequitur said:
Been doing the plannin' thang since 1987, when the University of Iowa booted me out of Iowa City with a MA in Urban and Regional Planning with an emphasis in Transportation Studies.

Welcome fellow Iowa Alum! I wondered how long it would take for another to land here. I got my Masters in 98, but I was a "non-traditional" (old) student.

Well that's darn tootin' cool!

What was your emphasis? Fork was my adviser... although he's pretty busy doing other things than teaching these days with his policy center...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
they promoted you to go to Mississippi? eeegads!

Glad you like it :) But then again to get out of the NoVa traffic....

Welcome!
PG

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome Mr. Sequitur! Wait a minute... I thought I lived in the house of chaos! Oh wait... that's the life of chaos. :)

SGB

Cyburbian
Nice intro, ANS! I give it two thumbs up for humor.

:)

Dive right in - headfirst even. The water is deep in spots, and the bottom generally is rather mushy from the decomposing......errrr...... nevermind!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Well that's darn tootin' cool!

Another Non Sequitur said:
What was your emphasis? Fork was my adviser... although he's pretty busy doing other things than teaching these days with his policy center...
I guess you could call it Land Use/Transportation. I had Peters, but I don't think he was there when you where. Fork was pretty sick a year or so ago, I think he is doing alright now though.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome

Another midwesterner (I'll ignore your current location ;) )into the fold... Our evil plot to dominate the world continues to grow!

*BEWWWWW HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA*

We really WANTED to come here!

PlannerGirl said:
they promoted you to go to Mississippi? eeegads!

Glad you like it :) But then again to get out of the NoVa traffic....

Welcome!
PG
We really - seriously - wanted to come here. And I voluntarily applied for the promotion.

Yes, MS has image and real problems of poverty, lack of education and racsim - but so does the entire country - there are pockets everywhere, unfortunately.

While I'm from Iowa originally, my wife is from Savannah and had tired of Richmond, which she had dubbed "The Pretenda South". I lived in Virginia from '91-'99 and moved down I-95 from Fairfax-Fredericksburg-Richmond - the traffic in NoVA and SNoVA (southern Northern VA - how I refer to Fredericksburg) is pretty awful, and I would not return there under any circumstances. Too many tatooed and pieced snotty suburban kids... not a good enviro for raising children. I'd much rather dodge huge F-250 diesel trucks on my bicycle than get crushed by all the BMVs and Lexii in NoVA.. :)

My wife wanted to get back to "real Southern culture", no snow (I love it love it love it - the two snows we've had melted by 10 am) and your money goes a long way here... ANS

Michael Stumpf said:
Welcome! Originally from Iowa - did you grow corn or raise pigs?
I detasseled corn two summers, but I'm from the Big Evil City of Des Moines... went to Roosevelt High School, graduated in '80, spent a year at the University of No Imporantance (er, UNI), decided that being a music major would suck, transferred to Iowa, ended up an English major, took a year off and bagged groceries and worked in Valley West Mall, got my MA in Urban planning, during summer '86 I interned in Sioux Falls, worked for a consultant in the Twin Cities summer '87 before crashing and burning my way out (got fired, hated the firm, real skills mismatch, hated the Twin H3ll), went to Battle Creek, MI MPO for a year, worked a little over 2+ for the Indiana Dept of Highways, which morphed into InDOT and still can't decide what do with planners 10+ years later, worked for Woolpert in Dayton for six months, moved to Fairfax, VA courtesy of Parsons DeLeuw and got laid off in Oct 92, landed in Fredericksburg, VA, worked for RADCO and set up the MPO there, got it through its first LRP, then FHWA called in '95, worked in Richmond until '99 and now I'm in Jackson...

I'm toying with the idea of going back to the private sector again as it is seems bizarre that I've actually worked for the same employer for nearly 8 years now... but I like Mississippi and the consulting ops here are limited - we'd probably have to move again and have I mentioned:

I REALLY REALLY MUCH PREFER SMALLER CITIES (under a half million in size, and so does my wife - I never did the "Big City Single 20something thing" as I got married for the 1st time straight out of grad school so I didn't have my "Friends" experience so I don't have sweet memories of (insert large megalopolis here) to live in. You just get much more reasonable commutes, for the most part, and COL compared to the giant places...

My father worked as a film editor for the NBC affliliate in DSM. My mom was a homemaker. They had no other offspring but little ol' me. Sorry to blow away your Farmer Fantasy, although my wife wants to move to the country here, train horses, and become a PMU farmer.

Then again, I have these fantasies of becoming a well-known novelist, problem is, it is lot easier and fun to type on message boards than it is to apply the self-dip to write a novel ;)

Is that enough information for now? Basically, I'm a stick in the mud transportation planner that wishes he could deal with big urban situations and who gets bored living in smaller rural states and still can't decide in his early 40s What I Want To Do With My Life (at least career-wise... I've already pulled the Baby Trigger)... ANS