• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings from Barcelona

Hi all,my name is Ian, and, to keep a long story short, I'm a transplanted Canadaian living in Barcelona. I'm presently working on my thesis and I do some consulting work too. My thesis is on the use of event strategies like the Olympics for city promotion and development. I'll be participating in this congress in July:
http://www.iphs2004.com/
Maybe someone out there will be able to make it over. I'm presently working on a talk about the 2004 Forum of Cultures as an urban project.
My thesis is something of a cross I bear and I'm trying to get a better conceptual framework around it; I started off with the two case studies I was interested in (Montreal 76 and Barcelona 92) now I'm pedalling backwards to get the framework to theorise it and contextualise them in their periods and so forth.

Well that's me

Look forward to participating in these forums, glad I came across the site http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=30#
Ian

Welcome, Willkommen, Bien Venue, and good to meet you. Your thesis sounds intriguing. Some night when I have insomnia and nothing better to do, we should Talk. :) Or not. Some folks find me terrible company at such times. :p

(PS: I am in California. That is why I said "when I have insomnia". :) I forgot that you might not realize that I am in California. "Michele in California" is my signature in most online forums. ;-) )

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from
North of the Ohio and East of the Wabash Rivers.

Sound like you have a good wrestling match going on with your thesis.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from central New York state.

We look forward to hearing more about your (mis)adventures in research and Spain.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from mile marker 609 of the mighty Ohio River.

Speaking of sporting events. We have hosted a little horse race here each year for the past 130 years. In recent times the crowds have been about 150,000 (and the weekend of races have drawn more than 325,000). We enjoy this 1minute 59 - 3/5 seconds horse race so much that we actually start celebrating two weeks beforehand with a huge air show and fireworks display; a steamboat race (ours is a real steampowered paddlewheeler); a parade and many other festivities. It is indeed interesting how sporting events can promote a community.

Oh, and watch out for the street cars, Mr. Gaudi.

Budgie

Cyburbian
The last thing we need is another Canadian.;) Even those that have tried to get away. Welcome to the forum.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome from an American in Canada. I'm jealous that you are in one of my favourite cities in the world. I've been to Barcelona twice now, and I can't wait till I can go back again. Enjoy your time in Europe :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Welcome and greetings from New Orleans.

Your thesis topic sounds very interesting. Keep us posted about the progress of your thesis.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Bienvenido, eh? (that's for being in Spain and being canadian :))

Welcome to Cyburbia, Ian! It was about time another Iberoamerican memeber joined :p although you're canadian but what the heck! :D

Thanks all

thanks for th egreetigns, the site looks interesting, been looking around - just noticed I've got a typo in my user name - hope I can change it.
Will keep you all posted and ask for your feedback when I have a question

Ian