• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings from Cambridge

Achernar

Cyburbian
Hi! I'm a grad student living in Cambridge MA, USA. I'm afraid I don't know anything about urban planning - I'm studying theoretical astrophysics - but I find it all fascinating! I've never lived in an urban area before moving here last year, and I've found I love everything about cities, even the parts you're supposed to hate.

So while I don't expect to be posting much, I wanted to at least say hi. And if anyone has tips for someone who might want to take up planning as a light hobby, or who wants to "get to know" his city better, they're most welcome.

Glad to be here,
Achernar

Jen

Cyburbian
Greetings from a grad student living east o' lac michigammee!

were you home schooled?

Welcome!

JNL

Cyburbian
Hi Achernar. I moved to the city (Wellington, New Zealand) 2 years ago and am also loving it. I have an apartment in an older part of the city centre, with lots of big old trees around, and so close to everything! Though I commute out of the city to my job :-\

Best tip for "taking up planning as a light hobby": hang out on Cyburbia! :)

mgk920

Cyburbian
Achernar said:
Hi! I'm a grad student living in Cambridge MA, USA. I'm afraid I don't know anything about urban planning - I'm studying theoretical astrophysics - but I find it all fascinating! I've never lived in an urban area before moving here last year, and I've found I love everything about cities, even the parts you're supposed to hate.

So while I don't expect to be posting much, I wanted to at least say hi. And if anyone has tips for someone who might want to take up planning as a light hobby, or who wants to "get to know" his city better, they're most welcome.

Glad to be here,
Achernar
Welcome aboard from another forvm 'newbie'. :)

I was in Cambridge for a couple of days last summer while helping a friend while he was moving from there to State College, PA. Interesting place, but I was most fascinated by the trackless-trolly busses that ran past his building. More recently I heard that Cambridge has purchased some new vehicles for that service, am I correct?

Mike from Wisconsin

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Theoretical astrophysics? So what's the matter, planning is too intellectually challenging? ;-) Welcome!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome

Achernar said:
And if anyone has tips for someone .... who wants to "get to know" his city better, they're most welcome.
My Tip - walk.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to cyburbia!

Theoretical astrophysics sounds a very interesting subject. maybe you could look into the spatial patterns( meaning city design as seen from 1000 km above earth) of cities and relate it some interesting patterns that exist high up there.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Greetings from .......?????

Greetings from..........., well I can't tell ya it will blow my cover. Greetings anyways and I hope you become fully informed on the ins and outs of planning.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from 2 miles south west of DC :) Yup non professionals are welcome here. Read, learn, comment and enjoy.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
JNA said:
Welcome

My Tip - walk.
I second this tip! I live in Chicago and the best way to get to intimately know an urban setting is to exlpore everywhere by walking.

The human body is the most mobile form of transportation in the world.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Cambridge, with all its organizations and activism, might be one of the best cities in the country to get into urban planning issues (although keep in mind how politically atypical the city is).

Cambridge is a very well-off small city with the universities, tech firms, and proximity to Boston. It might be good to get out to a struggling city of similar size (Brockton, Lawrence) to get a sense of what challenges other cities are dealing with.

And go to the Border Cafe on Church St. - if you wait outside for an hour it'll still be worth it. :)

Achernar

Cyburbian
Thanks everyone for the welcome, and for the tips! I do love walking, and reading Cyburbia.
Jen said:
were you home schooled?
That seems an odd first question, but yes, as a matter of fact, 6th-8th grade. Does it show? B-)
mgk920 said:
I was in Cambridge for a couple of days last summer while helping a friend while he was moving from there to State College, PA. Interesting place, but I was most fascinated by the trackless-trolly busses that ran past his building. More recently I heard that Cambridge has purchased some new vehicles for that service, am I correct?
Hmmm, I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. There are a couple of busses that run off overhead electrical wires. They go right by my office too, but I've never ridden one, and I don't know if they have new ones.
Cardinal said:
Theoretical astrophysics? So what's the matter, planning is too intellectually challenging? ;-)
Something like that.... I was utterly unable to get a city bigger than 20,000 in Sim City 2000. I always wound up with derelict industrial zones no matter how well I planned! I wouldn't want to live in one of my own cities.
Seabishop said:
And go to the Border Cafe on Church St. - if you wait outside for an hour it'll still be worth it. :)
Yes, I agree that place is pretty good. :) I haven't been since my friend's birthday; I'll check it out again.

Thanks again, everyone!