• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings from Jacksonville, FL

Hi, everyone, I'd thought I'd just breifly introduce myself to everyone on the forum. I'm a 26 year old project manager for Powers Design, Inc, an upscale architecture, planning, and landscape design firm in Ponte Verda Beach, FL. I go by the name Lakelander, because that was the city were I was working when I registered with the site, as well as the county (Polk) were I grew up in. I relocated to Jacksonville, FL back in November 03. I've been a member here for a while, but I don't post too often.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome back, lakelander, from the Hoosier State. Got more time to slack, now? ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
welcome back!

I liked your pics you have posted in the past.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Welcome from the inland northwest. :b:

Zoning Goddess said:
Good to see you back. We'll give you a holler if Richmond Jake relocates to FL and we schedule a lae-fest. :)
I'm all over it!!!! :b:

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome from waaaay up north, the mitten state to be exact.

lakelander said:
an upscale architecture, planning, and landscape design firm

Just wondering what makes your firm "upscale"?

Glad you got back into the loop after your move from Polk to Jacksonville.

Thanks, for the comments everyone!

originally posted by Gedunker
Welcome back, lakelander, from the Hoosier State. Got more time to slack, now?

Not, really, but I'm trying to make a little time, since there's a lot of good information flowing on these forums.

originally posted by Zoning Goddess
Good to see you back. We'll give you a holler if Richmond Jake relocates to FL and we schedule a lae-fest.

I'll keep that in mind, Zoning Goddess & RichmondJake.

originally posted by mendelman
I liked your pics you have posted in the past.

I'll post more as time goes on. I plan to do a lot of traveling this year. There's also a lot of new things going on in Jax that should improve the city's quality of life.

originally posted by plannerbyday
Just wondering what makes your firm "upscale"?

Glad you got back into the loop after your move from Polk to Jacksonville.

Its not really upscale, the firm's workload is just oriented towards the well-to-do wealthy friends of our owner and their high-priced waterfront developments and resorts.

originally posted by SeaBishop
Welcome. If you can call yourself "project manager" at 26, you're doing something right.

Maybe, I just got thrown into the fire quickly.....you either sink or swim, but that's how I like it.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Good to see you back. We'll give you a holler if Richmond Jake relocates to FL and we schedule a lae-fest. :)

Just wait until June so I can go too. That would be perfect come to think of it since you and SC should come up to Jax for someone's b-day!!

Welcome back! If you do any work in St. Johns, tell them "Hi" for me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside! ....
Come inside, the show's about to start
guaranteed to blow your head apart

Artist: Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Song Title: Karn Evil 9 First Impression
Album Lyrics: Brain Salad Surgery

H

Cyburbian
lakelander said:
I go by the name Lakelander, because that was the city were I was working when I registered with the site, as well as the county (Polk) were I grew up in.

Would that be the Imperial Polk County?! I just learned the other day how it got this adj as part of the official name. Do you know?

And of course welcome, from a fellow florida resident. :)

thanks, everyone!

originally posted by H
Would that be the Imperial Polk County?! I just learned the other day how it got this adj as part of the official name. Do you know?

And of course welcome, from a fellow florida resident.

Yep, some still call it Imperial Polk County. It earned that name back during the 1920's because it had the most paved or "modern" roads in Florida during that era.