• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings from Northeast Wisconsin

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
I just thought that I would say "Hello" from here in northeastern Wisconsin. I have an Urban and Regional Studies BS degree from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and am (patiently) looking for a place to cut my teeth in the field. My views are mainly from the perspective of a 'realistic visionary' and I try to keep up with events, observations and trends in areas relating to urban development as much as I can.

It is truly fun to ponder 'what ifs', but if the numbers are not there, they will only remain idle thoughts.

Mike in Appleton, WI.

BTW, if anyone is playing NTN trivia some evening and sees a 'WISGUY' on the 'top players' board, that's me! ;-)
 
Messages
7,649
Points
29
Welcome aboard. Die Hard Optimist here. I agree with the idea of being a "realistic visionary" -- to a point. But, hey, it is nearly 1:30am and pontificating might start an argument -- that would hardly be the way to greet a fresh face. In deference to my desire to Officially Welcome you, I will leave off the philosophizing. o:)
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
26,011
Points
64
Welcome from SW Indiana at about mile marker 792.5 on the Ohio River, which is in the Central Time Zone.
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Stealing someones welcome line yet again....

Welcome from mile marker zero on the Ohio River.
 

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Messages
496
Points
16
North East is a good orientation they say. :-}

I welcome you with a beer :b:
(Its getting hot out here and its time for the beers as I can see a few other mugs too )
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
WOW - Not only a fellow cheese head, but a fellow UW Zero Urban Studies alum. Welcome to the boards from the UWO's Class of 1990!
 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,549
Points
25
Welcome aboard! Two more members from Wisconsin and we will be able to make Cyburbia All-Wisconsin, All The Time!
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,552
Points
42
Greetings from south central Indiana, north shore of the Mighty O, mile 609, currently in the Eastern Standard soon to be Daylight Savings time. Enjoy Cyburbia and exploit it to its fullest.

biscuit said:
Stealing someones welcome line yet again....

Welcome from mile marker zero on the Ohio River.

The real trick, biscuit, is figuring the miles for the Allegheny and Monongahela! :-D
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
PlannerByDay said:
Hey another cheesehead.

Welcome from the other side of the Big Lake (Michigan)

Literaly, too. :) My family has had two seats in the front row, south end zone at Lambeau since 1962 (and they're halfway between the two tunnels since the re-enovation!). I wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING else in the stadium.

Ably playing the role of the nutty fan in the front row at every game I go to.
Mike
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
Seabishop said:
Welcome!

Whats NTN Trivia?

NTN trivia is a *FREE* interactive game played at bars and restaurants all over the USA and Canada. For more info and a directory of places near you where it is played, go to http://www.ntn.com . It is a great intellectual challenge for unwinding and relaxing after a stressfull day. :-}

If you go someplace where there are TV monitors showing multiple-choice questions, hints or answers peeling off and player rankings, that's it. To play it, just ask the bartender for a wireless 'playmaker' terminal.

Mike
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
mgk920 said:
Literaly, too. :) My family has had two seats in the front row, south end zone at Lambeau since 1962 (and they're halfway between the two tunnels since the re-enovation!). I wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING else in the stadium.

Ably playing the role of the nutty fan in the front row at every game I go to.
Mike

[montgomery burns]
Excellent... most excellent....
[/montgomery burns]

[ot] Mike - does Prof. Lurton Blassingame still have any affiliation with the Urban Studies program at Oshkosh? He was da man when I was there.... [/ot]
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
Chet said:
WOW - Not only a fellow cheese head, but a fellow UW Zero Urban Studies alum. Welcome to the boards from the UWO's Class of 1990!

Mine was a couple of years later, Dec. 1993, so we might know each other. Unfortunately, it has been 'experience trap' for me ever since.... :-\

BTW, I last talked with Mr. Blassingame about a year ago.

Mike
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
Chet said:
[montgomery burns]
Excellent... most excellent....
[/montgomery burns]

[ot] Mike - does Prof. Lurton Blassingame still have any affiliation with the Urban Studies program at Oshkosh? He was da man when I was there.... [/ot]

I am not sure if he still does anything at UWZero (he retired from there in about 1994), but he was still on the Oshkosh City Plan Commission when I last visited with him about a year ago.

One thing about him that I really did appreciate was that he kept whatever personal political views he has out of his classroom activities. VERY refreshing!

Mike
 

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Messages
880
Points
22
Welcome from a planner in uber-flat Central Illinois who misses hilly Wisconsin! BTW, Oshkosh is my favorite UW campus outside Madison (I also like LaCrosse and Stout, don't care for EC, Parkside or Platteville - too modern - although Milw. is not bad for a modern campus).
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
DecaturHawk said:
Welcome from a planner in uber-flat Central Illinois who misses hilly Wisconsin! BTW, Oshkosh is my favorite UW campus outside Madison (I also like LaCrosse and Stout, don't care for EC, Parkside or Platteville - too modern - although Milw. is not bad for a modern campus).

Are you forgetting to mention any other UW campuses, maybe? ;)
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Greenescapist said:
Welcome from Madison! WI has got to have the most members here.

MGK is the twelfth person from Wisconsin. Ohio does pretty well, too, with ten members, and New York isn't too shabby. In fact, if you included the whole New York City metro (i.e., New Jersey, too) along with the the upstate (i.e., better) part of the state, they would have the most posters. The Washington DC metro has eleven members, but their votes don't count in the official tally.

Of course, my count isn't official, as I try not to include one-time posters on the Cyburbia map, and may not have caught everyone who has signed up.
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,523
Points
23
Hello and welcome.

Cardinal said:
Welcome! Why is it so many Wisconsinners find their way to Cyburbia?
Wisconsin - known the world over as the slacker state.
 

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Messages
880
Points
22
Cardinal said:
Are you forgetting to mention any other UW campuses, maybe? ;)
Sorry. Never been to River Falls, Green Bay, or Superior. Oh, and I forgot Stevens Point. I have been there, that's a nice campus, too. They have a great urban forest near campus and good access to the Green Circle.
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
DecaturHawk said:
Sorry. Never been to River Falls, Green Bay, or Superior. Oh, and I forgot Stevens Point. I have been there, that's a nice campus, too. They have a great urban forest near campus and good access to the Green Circle.


Dude, you're just mean.... lol
 

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Messages
1,169
Points
24
DecaturHawk said:
Sorry. Never been to River Falls, Green Bay, or Superior. Oh, and I forgot Stevens Point. I have been there, that's a nice campus, too. They have a great urban forest near campus and good access to the Green Circle.

What's the Green Circle?
 

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Messages
2,779
Points
24
mgk920 said:
I ...am (patiently) looking for a place to cut my teeth in the field.

Whatever you do, it is not a good idea to bite the people that may hire you. They frown on that type of thing. Welcome! Good luck on the search for a job.
 

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Messages
880
Points
22
Greenescapist said:
What's the Green Circle?
Maybe I've got the name wrong, but the Stevens Point/Plover area has a very nice trail system that circles around the whole metro area. I thought it was called the Green Circle, but I could be wrong.
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
DecaturHawk said:
Maybe I've got the name wrong, but the Stevens Point/Plover area has a very nice trail system that circles around the whole metro area. I thought it was called the Green Circle, but I could be wrong.

The 'Green Circle' is indeed its name. I don't have any links handy, but if you search out the City of Stevens Point's website you should be able to find info on it.

Mike
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,232
Points
52
mgk920 said:
My family has had two seats in the front row, south end zone at Lambeau since 1962 (and they're halfway between the two tunnels since the re-enovation!).

You are my new best friend... I grew up a few hours north of you in Michigan's Beautiful Upper Peninsula, but now live in SW Troll Land (Michigan's Lower Peninsula) amongst the all the Lions Fans.
 
Top