• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Greetings from Oregon

plankton

Cyburbian
Planners, anti-planners, others:

I enjoy reading the posts in the forums, so I thought I'd register.

I'm a planner for a small city on the super-nice Oregon coast. I've been planning for about four years. Previous employment includes land surveying, log home building, and pizza making.

I think the populace of Detriot (my home town) really needs to think about spreading itself out a bit more - maybe sprawl all the way to Mt. Pleasant or so. And, yeah, let's build a freshwater pipeline from Lake Superior to California. ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work!

-plankton

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
plankton said:
Planners, anti-planners, others:

And, yeah, let's build a freshwater pipeline from Lake Superior to California.

Maybe Stumpf can get a Lake Michigan hook-up from Milwaukee and divert the water to my friends and family in southern California.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome!

We have a few other Oregonians registered here, and I only recently moved away from the Portland metro area. Let me tell ya, I'm envying your weather right now! :)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome Plankton,

I am a Michigander, on the west side though. I will be making a whirlwind trip to Newberg in a few weeks to meet an old friend. He says Oregon is great and I will check out the "Portland Planning" while I am there.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Hail to the Victors!

I went to Portland during spring break for the first time last year. My brother lives out there. I was just months away from from getting my UP degree, and on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, I was just chilling out at the governor's park on the river. I started up a conversation with a woman and she eventually asked where I'm from:

"Why are you here?"

"I'm on spring break."

"Oh, what do you study?"

"Urban planning at the University of Michigan."

"Really?! I work for the Portland planning department."

"Wow! Will you be hiring?!!!"

"HA! We're cutting staff. The state budget isn't doing so well."

That was one of the most coolest coincidences I've ever experienced! Needless to say, I never looked for a job in Portland. I'm sure there is a glut of qualified planners and planner posers & wannabes there.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Welcome...nice to have another perspective from the "mecca." ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Greetings from Oregon

Beaner said:

Maybe Stumpf can get a Lake Michigan hook-up from Milwaukee and divert the water to my friends and family in southern California.
Sorry, no pipelines. But if I move out that way I'll bring along a glass or two of water for you.

Greetings, Plankton.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome aboard! We got all the water someone could want right here in DC right now.

Welcome to where the crazy planners, anti-planners and others come to snarfle our morning beverage

Decay B

Welcome, fellow newbie

Is it my imagination or is the depopulation of the Great Plains moving east, sending midwesterners to both coasts?

I say this as a Hoosier that moved to Boston...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to Cyburbia!

PS - Before you get a chance to steal our water, your land mass will be an island.

Plankton, glad to have you with us. You're my favorite Spongebob character.
Random OT: My brother in LA told me this morning he's actually considering a move to Oregon.

Anyway, back on topic - hope you enjoy the boards.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome from another "West Sider" (Fairfield in Northern California, near Sacramento)

Another ex-Midwesterner (Fort Wayne, Indiana). Talking with my mother, I definitely don't miss Indiana winters! I've lived on the west coast for about 12 years, and will hopefully never have to leave. Although, given the budget doom in California , who knows?