• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings from Sacramento, CA

2020planner

Member
Messages
17
Points
1
Hi all,

I have just begun looking into getting my Master's in this field and stumbled upon this website. What an awesome forum! I hope to be able to contribute down the road, but for now I am soaking this up like a sponge.

Cheers,

Steve
 

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
25,866
Points
61
Welcome from
among the many Midwesterners
in the Central Time Zone, north of Ohio River.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Welcome from somebody who has traveled to Sacramento, lives in the Central Time Zone, isn't quite as far across the country, is more next to Lake Michigan than under it, yada, yada....
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,507
Points
41
Greetings from Brood X country. Nearer JNA than boiker.

What area of planning really interests you? (The Throbbing Brain is here to help;-))
 

2020planner

Member
Messages
17
Points
1
thanks all for the warm welcome! the more I explore this field the more assured I am that it is indeed the right direction for me
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Assilimation begin, Steve you are slowly being absorbed into the collective consciousness known as "The Throbbing Brain". Enjoy your absorption.
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
14,026
Points
58
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!

We like planners around here, but only is they're very docile. ;-)
 

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,388
Points
26
Welcome from south central NY state, where we should be expecting snow any day now since I finally took the snow tires off the car. ;)
 

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Messages
1,433
Points
25
SGB said:
Welcome from south central NY state, where we should be expecting snow any day now since I finally took the snow tires off the car. ;)

Welcome from the soon to be snowy Capital Region of NY! :5
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
Welcome! Vacaville resident. Fairfield employee. Sacramento has some great older neighborhoods - I really like Midtown, Land Park, and McKinley Park. (don't care for the suburbs very much)
 

2020planner

Member
Messages
17
Points
1
yowza! Barbara Walters??? first, i am of the male persuasion. i will leave it at that.

yeah, I really like living in Sacramento. have lived in Land Park and downtown. I dont consider the suburbs Sac... that is the "other place" :)
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
BKM said:
Welcome! Vacaville resident. Fairfield employee. Sacramento has some great older neighborhoods - I really like Midtown, Land Park, and McKinley Park. (don't care for the suburbs very much)

Ever been to Weatherstone's on 21st between H and I? Thinking of Midtown makes me miss that place...
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
2020planner said:
yowza! Barbara Walters??? first, i am of the male persuasion. i will leave it at that.

yeah, I really like living in Sacramento. have lived in Land Park and downtown. I dont consider the suburbs Sac... that is the "other place" :)

Yeah, Sacramento is one of those cities where the unincorporated suburbs are just not that nice. Even American River Parkway, while pleasant, jsut strikes me as really dull.

Although, to be honest, Sacramento City's latest attempt at planning, North Natomas, is pretty darn bleak. A sea of beige, for as far as the eye can see.
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
nerudite said:
Ever been to Weatherstone's on 21st between H and I? Thinking of Midtown makes me miss that place...

Weatehrstones is pretty cool.

The best caffe is now closed (landlord dispute)-New Helvetica was in an old brick firehouse on 19th street. I was way too old and square to patronize it, but they still had great coffee and food. They are missed.

If I am in Sacramento, I'll usually hit the place on Fremont Park (15th and P). They fixed up a nice turn of the century house. The name is escaping me right now, but a nice place.

There's also a cool new caffe in a very nice, brightly colored "workforce housing-mixed use" project on K Street near downtown (before the mall). It has really neat hanging hammock chairs and B&B Italia knock-off couches. I am such a yuppie.
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
BKM said:
Weatehrstones is pretty cool.

The best caffe is now closed (landlord dispute)-New Helvetica was in an old brick firehouse on 19th street. I was way too old and square to patronize it, but they still had great coffee and food. They are missed.

Oh yeah... New Helvetia! That was the FABULOUS ;) place to hang out when I lived there. Great cheesecake and a nice patio outside. That's too bad that it is gone :( There used to be a place across the street from New Helvetia that made killer scones too. I have to get back to Sacto soon! :)
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
Do it soon! We are having a bit of March right now, but pretty soon, 105 degrees will return!
 

2020planner

Member
Messages
17
Points
1
15th and Q = Naked Lounge (slogan is "Get Naked"). their naked mocha rocks

Infusion is the name of the swanky new cafe (and soon to be bar joint) on K near the Capitol Mall. The place is a cool amalgam between Scandinavian / Shanghai-esque design flavors.

On a side note, I began seriously considering design / policy when the City of Sac uprooted a huge neighborhood mixed-use garden in favor of a soon-to-be built condo complex. uggghhhh.... nothing like tearing apart communities when there is plenty of space all over town for those types of developments!
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
Is The Beat record store still around? I used to love to buy vinyl there. I'm probably going to Cali in a few weeks... wasn't planning on going through Sac, but now I'm starting to miss it!
 

2020planner

Member
Messages
17
Points
1
yep... it is on 18th and J. cool record store

if you roll through here i would gladly buy you a beer. i am seeking out folks to talk to about this profession
 
Messages
7,649
Points
29
2020planner said:
"Laefest"? fill me in... i am a newbie :)
There are certain words that get misspelled around here. "Ale" is one of them. A Laefest is an "Alefest" for Cyburbanites.

I happen to live in the town where BKM works and we have met. Nerudites used to live and work in Davis. There is also someone (Octagal??) who lives in San Francisco. There is going to be a Laefest in Chicago in June (and JNL is flying in from New Zealand for that one -- I think they are working with her to accommodate her schedule). It would be cool to have a mini get together in the joint San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento Area. Coincidentally, Fairfield is geographically midway between San Francisco and Sacramento. :) I would be happy to arrange, hostess, yadda yadda. :)
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
I don't think we'll be able to fit Sac in. I will be staying nearby in the evenings (Antioch), but I haven't seen my sister in 3 years and I doubt she'll let me leave her company much while I'm there, nor will my niece. Then from Antioch we are going to my parents' cabin outside of Bass Lake (near Oakhurst), so we end up going through Manteca or thereabouts. I have never driven between the two places directly, so I'm just making a wild guess. :)
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,463
Points
29
nerudite said:
I don't think we'll be able to fit Sac in. I will be staying nearby in the evenings (Antioch), but I haven't seen my sister in 3 years and I doubt she'll let me leave her company much while I'm there, nor will my niece. Then from Antioch we are going to my parents' cabin outside of Bass Lake (near Oakhurst), so we end up going through Manteca or thereabouts. I have never driven between the two places directly, so I'm just making a wild guess. :)

Maybe next time? Davis is changing a lot. There are at least five fairly major mixed use projects that have been completed downtown. I need to buy a digital camera!
 

nerudite

Cyburbian
Messages
6,544
Points
30
BKM said:
Maybe next time? Davis is changing a lot. There are at least five fairly major mixed use projects that have been completed downtown. I need to buy a digital camera!

Yeah... or *maybe* this time. It's so hard to tell how much free time we'll have, and where we will be. But that's the type of roadtrip I like!
 
Top