• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Greetings from the Buckeye State!

presOhio

Well....

After at least a year of lurking around, loving the discussions and taking an occasional stab at the "GTC," I made the plunge and registered. Now I too hold myself out as a Cyburbian!

I am an attorney and also staff for a statewide historic preservation organization. In fact, Ohio is the only state in the country with two statewides (lucky us), and we are the only statewide preservation organization in the entire US of A which is not affiliated with the National Trust (a very long story...). With that, however, comes a strong, 22-year corporate history of innovative, hands-on preservation work. At present, for instance, we are formulating a comprehensive approach to Ohio's growing problem with decaying traditional neighborhoods -- particularly those around its decaying mid-sized central cities.

Personally, my favorite metro areas are Boston (except for the crazy drivers and that ugly City Hall), Salt Lake City (did my undergrad at the U of Utah), and Pittsburgh -- the only major US city I know with an entrance (through the Fort Pitt tunnel -- it takes one's breath away). For smaller towns, there's no place like Madison, Indiana (though Saratoga Springs, NY comes close). I am an avid student of trends in urban economic geography, quality architecture (both old and new), and, above all, I love places that get "it" - the rare ability to capitalize on their existing resources in a way which draws you in.

Looking forward to participating.....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome
from SW Indiana in the Central Time Zone on the northshore of the Ohio River at mile marker 792.5.

When at U of U (I went to USU) how much did you ski ? ;-)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Welcome from the land of famous edible tubers. BFE 2068. :b:

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome ThomP from the wonderful city of Wellington, New Zealand. Sounds like you'll fit right in :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome - and another attorney joins us. hmmmm...

Welcome aboard.

I was tempted to merely razz you and say that "I hope you have a foot-ThomPing good time here." :p
But I am curious: what made you finally decide to join after lurking for so long?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
ThomP said:
Well....

After at least a year of lurking around, ........... I made the plunge and registered. Now I too hold myself out as a Cyburbian!

Looking forward to participating.....
Welcome out of the "lurking" closet and I to look forward to your posts an input on historic preservation, that is a big thing these days with attempts to rehab downtowns and old urban neighborhoods.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the great sprawls of Northwest Metro Chicago!

(luckily, I live in the City)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from the Eastern Standard Time Zone (at least for the next 27 days), north side of the Mighty Ohio, 609 miles south of the tunnel entrance.

Locals often unfairly compare this Hoosier city to Madison, Indiana. I try to explain the fact that Madison is the only real player in its market, whereas we compete in the Louisville metro. It is natural for Madison to have retained so much of its architecture while we have lost some of our better buildings (although we have a very nice collection still remaining). We also did not have the great fortune to be selected as a test city by the National Trust, and thus have that infusion of cash, expertise, and notoriety.

Welcome aboard. There are a number of preservationists among the membership here, myself included.