• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings Planners

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenAzali

Hello All,

After obtaining a B.S. in Urban and Regional Planning, I enlisted in the services. Now my degree has about the same comparative value as the uniform I wear. For now, I am eager to get back into the speed of current planning with you all, and hope to share some common topics.

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome to the forums.

Grab a seat, and relax. The staff will be along shortly to take your drink order. ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from
North of the Ohio River, east of the Wabash River.

Post early, Post often.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome from the south wester corner of the one and only state that actually looks like something other than a square, you know the one, the one with a big lake named after it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. There are many former military people (US and Canadian) here at Cyburbia. It may give you an edge in getting that planning job.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago! (well, I work in Hoffman Estates and live in Oak Park, but that's not as cool)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Coming from a military brat, I can tell you that there is a market for land use planners who have knowledge and/or specialize in military base planning and planning for surrounding civilian communities. Learn all you can about military operations such as, clear landing zones (APZ), training range needs, weapon range needs, soil contamination and support services (MWR, Housing, DODDS, AFESS, etc...). This combination can be valuable.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome aboard, from the hilly part of the Hoosier State. Budgie is absolutely correct about base-closure planning -- unless you want a clean break from that part of your life.

Welcome! :)

Actually, the uniform you wear gives you the stamp of approval of the federal government. Many future employers will consider you reliable and trustworthy and good at following orders.

Michele in NoCal, whose hubby has worn the uniform for 18 1/2 years and whose daddy wore it for 26 1/2. ( And, yes, the civilian world is desperately in need of a few folks who have Some Clue about the needs of the military and how to plan for that. My county talks constantly about doing things to kiss the butt ..um, er, I mean cater to the needs of the local base, yet most folks in local planning circles don't have a clue what the base needs or what the folks stationed there need.)

Status
Not open for further replies.