• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Greetings

benk928

Cyburbian
In case anyone actually reads this, my name is Ben, I'm a sophomore at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA, planning on majoring in Public Policy for future graduate work in Urban Planning. Umm...I'm from Virginia Beach, VA, so if anyone has insight in the Hampton Roads area, please let me know, I'd love to hear it. Until then, take care.

-Ben

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome Ben! i spent time as a kid right there at Ft Eustis (PG is a water rat) Such a lovely area or it was when i was a kid.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to seeing you in our little chats

PG in Arlington

Ben, glad to have you with us. You know, I think that while it is a little more common that it used to be, its still pretty rare to have very many undergrads interested in planning. i, myself, didn't really get interested in planning until i had to figure out what i was going to do with a geography degree.

prudence

Cyburbian
Welcome Aboard...

Anybody attending the alma mater of Darren Sharper can't be all bad. Good to have you with us.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome Ben!

Okay... I don't know much about football, but isn't that the seahawks logo? How did a seahawks fan end up on the east coast???

Cardinal

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Welcome Ben! i spent time as a kid right there at Ft Eustis (PG is a water rat) Such a lovely area or it was when i was a kid.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to seeing you in our little chats

PG in Arlington
PG, you were at Ft. Eustis? I was stationed there 1989-90. Home to the US Army Transportation Corps. Hoo-Ahh! or is it Hoo-rah? I don't know. We used to call it Club Eustis. The O-Club was right across from the BOQ. I used to spend a lot of time there doing the Electric Slide after perhaps a few toom many beers. Weekends were great - Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Cape Hatteras, Richmond, the Shanendoah, and the DelMarVa Penninsula.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
We were at Ft Useless from...76?-85 Yes a long time for an Army officer but they dont have many slots for a CW3 for boats sigh.

I live over by Cols row, Thompson Cir. ill never forget those cold sand swiming things they had-the water was ALWAYS cold enough to make your lips blue in a few min.

wow the memories of the dead fleet, that UFO thing at the gate and they used to have this HUGE helo at the gate.

ok ill hush now and go back to my own private memory lane

PG

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Yeah, I still have a picture of the UFO. I'll have to find it and post it here. I didn't think the sand pools were that cold, but then I swim in Lake Superior. The dead fleet was pretty interesting, too.

benk928

Cyburbian
Wow, this might just be the friendliest message board I've ever been on. 9 posts for just me saying hi. It's like Christmas came early.

As far as being an undergraduate interested in planning, I won't be ashamed to say that it started with SimCity. Also, my grandfather was Virginia Beach's first director of Economic Development, so I've grown up around this sort of thing.

As far as being a Seahawks fan way over in Virginia, when I was about 10 years old my brother made me pick a favorite team so we could play Madden '93 on Super Nintendo together. I picked the one team I figured would make me unique. And this arbitrary decision has turned me into a true-blue fan.

I'm also a child of suburban sprawl, coming from Virginia Beach. Williamsburg is a nice change of pace, it is gorgeous here, Grand Illumination is Sunday and I'm excited. That's all.

-Ben

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome to a fellow newbie

I also feel your shame. From one Ben to another: It all started with SimCity for me as well. I recieved it when I was 12 as my first computer game. But soon it wasn't enough so I moved onto SimCity Urban Renewal, then 2000, then 3000, then an undergraduate in Urban Planning, then a career.

O Dear God it's been an awful downward spiral since picking up that game. I always told myself I could stop at any time. O God, where will it end?

SimCity...The gateway drug.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sim City is very popular among Cyburbanites, from what I have seen. Yes, it is a gateway drug. And Cyburbia is like crack.