• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Greetings

TrafficHater

Hi everyone. I'm in the metro DC area. I just applied for a Masters in Urban Planning program and I'm looking forward to starting it (assuming I'm accepted). I've settled on this after bumping around a little. My undergrad was a subject in the humanities and I went into the technology field for a while. Now I work in real estate development finance, and have about 4 years of experience in that field. This might make me the enemy in the eyes of some. The truth is that a lot of the people I work with are very civic minded (at least those in my company), for whatever that's worth. Anyway, I've decided to stop lurking and start participating.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome! I wish I knew more about real estate financing myself. It will especially come in handy if you end up getting into economic development or community development/housing. With that background you are probably better poised for private consultation/development (where you can make the big bucks, so I'm told). Good luck with your planning future :)

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome.

Pull up a chair, grab a beverage of choice and join right in!

moose

Welcome!

I'll be in your neck of the woods next week for a little vacation. Is there any off-the-beaten-path stuff that I shouldn't miss?

donk

Cyburbian
welcome, now we have another place to crash during APA conference. ;)

TrafficHater

donk said:
welcome, now we have another place to crash during APA conference. ;)
Sure, but due to the affordabile housing and traffic congestion crises you will have to sleep in the kitchen and it will take you 3.5 hours each way to get to your conference.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome!

The Bay Area is a hate-free zone, so you should definitely avoid San Francisco's 7-days-a-week rush hours! :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome and Make a Wish!

Good luck with the grad school stuff. Been there, done that and it was a good experience (virtually irrelevant to actually practicing, but gots the sheepskin).

I also agree with nerudite about your background.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome to the boards.

I agree with my fellow Cyburbanites. It's probably a good thing you've waited until now to persue the masters degree because a background in real-estate financing will be a HUGE assest when it comes time to finda job in a planning realted field.

TrafficHater

Development Finance

biscuit said:
Welcome to the boards.

I agree with my fellow Cyburbanites. It's probably a good thing you've waited until now to persue the masters degree because a background in real-estate financing will be a HUGE assest when it comes time to finda job in a planning realted field.
Thanks. That's good to know. I'm not sure that I'll ever actually go into planning. Seems to me that it could go the other way too(planning background could be good to have for later in a real estate finance career). Of course the preferred degree in the field is the MBA. But my wife is doing that now and it doesn't seem as interesting or as informative as the urban planning route. I'd rather sit in a class on land use than a class on organizational behavior, whatever that is.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome to the group!

I hope you hate yuppies! ;-)

TrafficHater said:
...Seems to me that it could go the other way too(planning background could be good to have for later in a real estate finance career)....
This is good to hear. Now I know what to do, in order to exist current planning as soon as possible. (A person that can interpret a zoning code and make sure the numbers work!)

TrafficHater

Yuppies

mendelman said:

I hope you hate yuppies! ;-)
How can I hate my own kind, mendelman? Actually I'm not as young, urban, or professional as I'd like to be. I'm kind of an old rural hack, I guess. Down with yuppies! Long live old rural hacks!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Real estate development finance is an excellent background, especially if you interests lean more toward redevelopment or economic development. I spent the entire morning with an attorney working out details of one transaction, and have put most of the afternoon so far into determining the best way to finance a $1.4 million building we'll be putting up. Contribute any advice you want, and welcome to the board.

H

Cyburbian
Welcome. You say you are a traffic hater, but are you a traffic maker? :-S

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Greetings from one of the many Midwesterners.

I like your self image compared to that of a yuppy.

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome from another with an undergrad in humanities/social science, currently working in research, and heading towards a Masters in Urban Planning or Design.

Great to have you on board :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Welcome...

I'll be running a lap around DC next weekend. See you there.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the unoffical DC Cyburbia greeter ;-)

YHAEEEE another Yuppie! *does the happy sorority girl dance*

Im not alone!!

ahhh now I feel better.

PG

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Welcome and what did you do to Peggy?

"Columbians are always welcome, Welcome to Cyburbia. irish one"

Columbians are only welcome if the coca is cheap. Tunas don't have time for this, but welcome :b:

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Howdy from another DC greeter. Since you are a traffic hater, here is a good reason to hate the traffic in NoVA - the lights do not sync properly.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Allright who was the post padder that started digging up 3 week old intros?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Allright who was the post padder that started digging up 3 week old intros?
That would be the Trail Nazi, but it wasn't a mere howdy. She actually said something, which is more than I did. Am I post padding right now?