• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Rural / small town Grocery store rural market criteria

SGB

Cyburbian
Does anyone have any experience w/ recruiting grocery stores (independant or chain) to small rural communities in the northeastern U.S.?

I'm particularly interested in learning what specific market criteria groceries look for in a region, such as population, median & per capita income, etc....

Subject town has a population of 10,300 and is seeking a second grocery store.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
For a community of 10,000, recruiting a second grocery store may not be easy. Two key considerations are what competition may be in adjacent communities, and how big a population lives in the market, outside of the city itself. Define the trade area and then spend $100-150 on some market demographics from CACI.

Many of the grocery chains have a rural format store, which is often somewhat similar to their inner-city format. I am not familiar with the chains in the northeast, but here in the Midwest, I would probably look to Piggly-Wiggly and Sav-A-Lot. Regardless, contact the territory representatives from the chains and they will likely tell you what they need in a site.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Some larger franchises will go so far as to post their location and / or franchising requirements on their web sites. Pick a few prominant firms from youir part of the country and start Googling for their corporate web presence.