• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Group Home Help

aengus23

I work for a municipality here in the Denver area. Recently the City Council was faced with the issue of a group home wanting to locate in a residential area. The neighbors came out in force. Council responded by imposing a moratorium and asking staff to look at the issue.

Has anyone dealt with the issue of group home facilities and siting processes recently? Does anyone have a group home ordinance/process that I could get a copy of?

I have read the literature and i think i understand the issues/law. It would be helpful, though to have some discussion regarding practice and reality.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The most critical point will be your state statutes--especially the definitions of what is a 'group home' and what pre-empts local zoning. In other words, look for CO examples.

BKM

Cyburbian
State (CA) law pretty much requires us to treat these facilities as a standard residential use. Our ordinance defines "Community Care Facilities" as a permitted use in all residential districts. We do require, however, a 300-foot separation between individual facilities. There are some very basic (e.g., vague) design standards related to neighborhood compatibility as well. www.ci.fairfield.ca.us

The Zoning Ordinance section is 25.20.4.9

Good Luck

Jeff

Cyburbian
Treated just like a permitted residential use in a residential district in Philly. I have one right across the street from my home. People get all in a fuss over these things, I lived in my house for 6 months before I ever found out it was a group home across the street, and that was only because my neighbor told me.

Habanero

Cyburbian
In our city it depends on the definition of "family"- so 5 or less with one permanent adult resident would just need to be licenced by the State- otherwise they need a Use Permit from the City as well.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
State of Wisconsin Statutes allow for any CBRF to be located in any residential area without special zoning permission as long as there are 8 or fewer residents or fewer and the facility is not within 2,500 feet of another CBRF. If there are 9-15 residents, they can still locate in a residential area, but need special zoning permission.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
You can no longer use a "family" definition. The courts have thrown out this type of definition.

In Ohio you can't really control the location of group homes. The best you may be able to do is require a conditional use permit that is renewable.

aengus23

Thanks everyone for the insights. I am looking locally for ordinances and other help. I understand that the group home that came before Council was to house foster children. Council was apparently concerned about the effect of their decision and the precedent it would set should other group home constituents, i.e. elderly, recovering alcoholic, sex offenders with drug problems : ), approach the City.

The Fair Housing Act

also applies here, I believe. We have had several of these lately, and it was like pulling teeth to assuage the nervousness of the Board members.