• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Growth Management in New Zealand

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Hi. Could anybody tell me what kinds of growth management controls are in use in New Zealand (things such as growth boundaries, regional planning, etc.). Or could you give me a link to such information. What governmental agency is responsible? Is sprawl even a problem there?

Thanks.

Aroha

Kia ora
Growth managment in NZ is effects based through the Resource Managment Act and local District Plans. There is a sprawl problem... Auckland is one of the largest cities in the world in terms of area, with only 1.3 million people taking up a lotta space! My city, Wellington is enforcedly compact due to geography (steep hills round a harbour, but over the hills sprawl is eating up the countryside and we are trying to address it with a inter-council approach.
Ka kite ano

peter lowitt

Waitakere

Apologies if I'm misspelling the name, Waitakere is located just west of Aukland and call itself Eco City. They appear to be very progressive in how they address sprawl issues. They have an eco-shopping center, eco-hospital and use transit oriented development as an organizing theme for development.

peter lowitt

NO

I spent a week stumbling over how to (mis) pronounce Waitakerie. I will have to ask for help to avoid a serious repetition of foot in mouth when I head back to Napier next year.
Peter

JNL

Cyburbian
It sort of sounds like why-tuck-aree with the r slightly rolled.

We have lots of Maori place names - how about Otangarei, Whangamata, Paekakariki, Paraparaumu, and Oamaru!!