• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Grrr... %@&*# Virus!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Anybody else being bombarded by the Sobig virus? I had about 30 infected e-mails sent to me yesterday, and 140 more by this morning, and maybe another 30 already today. I think it has gotten a membership list for a state organizations, based on the names it is placing in the sender field. If anybody has ideas on how to stop it, let me know.

BKM

Cyburbian
I received maybe ten yesterday. They were all caught by our firewall.

SGB

Cyburbian
I don't think we've had any problems at our office building. I'm assuming a firewall or network AV software is doing it's thing correctly.

Let's hear it for the IT staff! :)

donk

Cyburbian
They are starting to roll into my account, probably 10 in the last hour or so. Unfortunately, my email is on a lot of web sites as the contact person for our cycling association.

The worm virus took out my personal notebook computer. I've been getting a ton of crap emails at work that I think are infected, but the virus scanner at work has been catching them.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Our IT staff updated the virus-scanning program yesterday so we haven't had any problems here at the office.

I had the first virus at home last week and installed the Microsoft patch, and have heard that may protect against the new one. So far, no problems, but who knows what I'll find when I get home tonight...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
The worm virus took out my personal notebook computer. I've been getting a ton of crap emails at work that I think are infected, but the virus scanner at work has been catching them.
The worm also knocked my fiances desk-top but it was nothing that an hour of Gateway tech support couln't fix.

Our firewall must be doing the job because I've got nothing on my work account.

H

Cyburbian
Got me last week at home. I put the patch on and am fine now.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have not been infected, and am updating the other office computers to make sure they don't get it either. The Sobig has only been an annoyance, as every fifteen minutes I am getting new e-mails, and each time, the virus software pops up a warning message that I have to close. I finally closed Outlook to put an end to the interruptions, but now I don't have my legitimate e-mails coming through immediately.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
last night this latest virus was hitting one of my AOL accounts pretty hard so i finaly closed off the account from getting ANY outside mail overnight and its fine today

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Our firewall is protecting us here at work. Havent checked from home yet.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Our IT staff is very strict, but very good. I do not think that anyone in city hall has been affected by it. I know a few weeks ago, we all got an e-mail from IT letting us know about it, but I have not head anything thus far about any of our systems going down.

On the other hand, the college that I went to, tons of people had it, and they posted a page on there web site on how to get rid of it.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I've received nearly 150 infected messages since yesterday. All are being deleted and not opened. Others in my office have experienced a similar influx. Grrr....