• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guadalajara Mexico

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sure looks good, like a European city. Most American citites don't.

Probably many Mexican cities also don't. Do they?

Helps that there are no high rises.

Xing500

Cyburbian
ablarc said:

Probably many Mexican cities also don't. Do they?

Helps that there are no high rises.
Sorry, I should explain that this is the old downtown. The new downtown does have some high rises, but I didn't make it out there.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
So there's an old downtown and a new area of high rises.

You find that solution these days in some European cities that don't want to screw up their old cities. In Paris there is La Defense on the outskirts, a skyline comparable to that of, say Dallas or Houston. London has Canary Wharf, which helps to keep high rise development somewhat under control elsewhere in the city.

Those new skyscraper cities in Europe are usually pretty sterile. They suffer from modern zoning concepts, sci-fi spaces and huge-increment development. And it doesn't help that they are off to the side. People desert them as soon as they get off work, making them pretty much office parks with rail transit. Boring.

bocian

Cyburbian
ablarc said:
Well, should American cities look "European"? American cities look like.. well.. American cities..

------
great pictures by the way - I love the pedestrianized streets and civic plazas with grand architecture..

Xing500

Cyburbian
bocian said:
Well, should American cities look "European"? American cities look like.. well.. American cities..

------
great pictures by the way - I love the pedestrianized streets and civic plazas with grand architecture..
Some American cities look European, and not all Mexican cities look European. Juarez does not look European at all, except for maybe a few places downtown.

sammy_sf

Xing500 said:
Some American cities look European, and not all Mexican cities look European. Juarez does not look European at all, except for maybe a few places downtown.
Of the cities in Mexico I've visited, nearly ALL of them are infinitely more european (and livable) than even the most "european" cities in the US (including SF, NY and Chicago!). Even the border towns (including Juarez) are very dense and lively. Ciudad Acuna - across the border from Del Rio, TX - is a relatively small town but you actually see people on the street, vendors, plazas, shops, housing above retail - URBAN! What you don't see (typically) in most Mexican cities is the amount of parking. Even small American cities devote nearly half of their downtowns to parking while Mexican cities (even new ones - like Cancun) orient themselves to the Zocalo or Jardin where everybody gathers. It's a part of the culture to live close to people in Mexico. I think the sprawl you see in cities like Monterrey and Guadalajara is far less offensive than what you see in the States.