• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Forum games 🎲 Guess the City: 07.19.2021

michaelskis

Cyburbian
For some of those of you who have been around for a while, you might remember a game known as Guess This City. It has been a while since we have done one, so I thought why not.

I was really surprised with the age and size of some of the homes near downtown given the location and what appeared to be a fairly quite history.
Population less than 10,000.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 152255.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-19 152911.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The city is named after someone who fought in the American Revolution and the War of 1812.

Also an incident that ended in this city was made into a movie.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What state is it in?
My least favorite state in the US... one that worships a nut.

I can tell you also that I was really impressed by the residential neighborhood close to downtown. It had quite a few Victorian and Italianate homes at various levels of condition, but even those in need of repair still retained a lot of their historic character.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Kenton, Ohio.

Thank you to Wikipedia's list of cities named after people and the Frito Lay truck in the street view making it easier to verify!

And I agree that there is definitely some nice architecture in the residential neighborhoods close to the downtown. The neighborhood just to the north seems to be particularly well maintained.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Kenton, Ohio.

Thank you to Wikipedia's list of cities named after people and the Frito Lay truck in the street view making it easier to verify!

And I agree that there is definitely some nice architecture in the residential neighborhoods close to the downtown. The neighborhood just to the north seems to be particularly well maintained.
That is correct... We drove through there a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed with the level of architecture, but really surprised with the lack of information about events or industry in the late 1800's when those homes would have been built. So it has been a bit of a quandary for me.