• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Forum games 🎲 Guess The City 07.21.2021

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Originally, it's location was occupied by Native Americans, but was settled because of the potential for shipping by both water and rail. In the late 1700's it was even a lesser known stop for pirates. However, today this city has less than 10,000 residents but has a strong tourism emphasis. There is also a strong geology connection here as well.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 114257.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-21 113759.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-21 113936.jpg

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Originally, it's location was occupied by Native Americans, but was settled because of the potential for shipping by both water and rail. In the late 1700's it was even a lesser known stop for pirates. However, today this city has less than 10,000 residents but has a strong tourism emphasis. There is also a strong geology connection here as well.
This place was an answer to a question on geology quiz for a intro to geology class. I got it wrong because I left out the next to last letter in the name. I'll never forget.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, I'm stumped. All the clues point to the UP, but I can't find any towns on Lake Superior that look like this.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Easy to guess if one has been there. Petoskey, MI
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Most people do not realize it, but the Great Lakes also had pirates. I lived here as a little kid for a bit in the late 70's and early 80's. The "state stone" of Michigan shares a name with this city as well.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was just thinking that the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, of the big lake they call Gitchigumi. The lady, it's said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.
A stand up comic once quipped 'if you ever want to get people to leave quickly, just start singing that depressing song. All the fun or cheerfulness in the room will instantly evaporate.'

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was just thinking that the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, of the big lake they call Gitchigumi. The lady, it's said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.
IMG_4679.jpg

And the ore boats are still very active on the big lake. This was from a few weeks ago.

Last edited: