• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

statler

Cyburbian
I guess it's my turn huh? I'll make it easy.

Ok, that's enough. More pics and/or clues provided apon request

statler

Cyburbian
Nope. But it's not too far away...could be a day trip from Boston. (Big Hint)

statler

Cyburbian
I knew it was going to be you who got it it, but I didn't know how to exemt you.....

BKM

Cyburbian
beautiful

Now THIS, El Guapo, is what a city should look like :) I need to revisit Portland. I remember really liking the Old Port ten years ago.

Love Portland. Did my first weekend trip there last fall for Christmas Shopping. Had a lot of fun. Quite the happening little downtown, and we had breakfast at Becky's every morning. yum.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Portland

I grew up in Portland, but am kind of embarrassed that I didn't recognize it until I saw that last photo. Portland is really a perfect little city. I hope to move back there someday.

statler

Cyburbian
Yeah, If I had to leave Boston, Portland would be first on my list of places to move to.

BKM

Cyburbian
1. Intimate scale-narrow streets, cobblestone alleys, etc.

2. Well-crafted buildings

3. Sense of place based on an architectural and social history. Good use of historic preservation.

4. Human scaled buildings.

5. City tied to the waterfront, not separated by huge freeway infrastructure.

6. Mixed uses.

7. Local commerce-albeit tourist oriented :(

Should every City really "look like this"? Of course not. I would hope that cities retain some sense of LOCAL character, which means, for example, that Seattle in an ideal world would not have architecture transplanted from a wood frame city in the Midwest, and that people should stop complaining that California has no brick architecture. :) (I think I'm mixing a discussion I had on another Board)

I WOULD argue that no City should have a downtown that consists of souless 1970s boxes (like the photograph), no street life, etc. I question whether cities should look like suburban Phoenix or much of the suburban SunBelt (soundwalls, Big Box Retail, eight lane commercial arterials, pods of lifestyle-defined "housing units.")

Just my opinion, of course. The more people that choose Henderson, Nevada, the less pressure on the places that I like :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: beautiful

There are many forms of beauty. You are right, this is one of them. Houston is not one of them.

BKM said:
Now THIS, El Guapo, is what a city should look like :) I need to revisit Portland. I remember really liking the Old Port ten years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.