• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 100

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Guess the city...

NOTE TO MODERATOR: I did a test post first and now I can't get the image to show here directly... hopefully this link will work...?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
The first pic looks kind of like the Milwaukee riverfront, and the building in the second pic has the ubiquitous cream-colored stone, so Milwaukee is my guess.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Definitly not Milwaukee, sorry Decaturhawk.

I would guess Cleveland.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It looks a bit hilly, which takes most large Upper Midwest cities out of the picture. How about Columbus?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
'Nother try...

Michael S. is right, looks hilly, probably a Mississippi river town. How about:

Rock Island?
Quincy?
Alton?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
on a river or lake?
lake shores have bluffs= hills

BKM

Cyburbian
I am going to guess Manchester, NH. Looks like a classic New England mill building.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
'Nother try...

Michael S. is right, looks hilly, probably a Mississippi river town. How about:

Rock Island?
Quincy?
Alton?
I would have thought Ohio River Valley.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
OK, Mud Princess says that one of the guesses had the right state. So, the choices are: Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, New York, New Hampshire, and Texas. The style of the buildings just doesn't say Texas, so it must be in a northern clime. The look of the waterfront and the size of the boats indicate a decent sized body of water. The hills rising quickly up from the water indicate a river town. The nature of the buildings also indicate that the river at one time was (or still is) a working, industrial style river, so it must have been (or still is) a larger, more navigable stream. So, I'm gonna try Ohio River town; how about Portsmouth OH or Steubenville OH?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that I might be off, but I have two guesses

Green Bay WI or
Sturgein Bay WII think that I might be off, but I have two guesses

Green Bay WI or
Sturgeon Bay WI

That could be the bay of Green Bay off Lake Michigan. It is surrounded by bluffs, and that building looks like it could be a Boat Plant.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Sorry for the delayed response - just returned from out of town - I'll look for another photo and/or hint...