• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 105: Blonde Edition 1

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, folks ... this is for those of you who have had some difficulty with GTC in the past. Let's try this one.

A clue: it's the largest city in the state, province, territory, prefecture or department where it's located.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I knew it would be challenging. Let me try a couple more hints.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
hmmm wow... Let me Guess again...

OH, that looks like an important building, I would say.... AHHH
WASHINGTON DC

Otis

Cyburbian
Are these hints from like old album covers for that band named Chicago? If they're not that could be the Petrobras towers up on top of that brown building on the right in the first picture, so that would be Kuala Lampur. Am I right?

Otis

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
Are these hints from like old album covers for that band named Chicago? If they're not that could be the Petrobras towers up on top of that brown building on the right in the first picture, so that would be Kuala Lampur. Am I right?
I mean the left.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I just googled "Chicago Street" and came up with Chandler, AZ. Is that it?

The Irish One

it's probably a really big city, right? I know chicago is french for something but I don't see the i-fal towers? That is really weird, don't you think.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Naaaah!

I'm pretty sure it's none of the above.

My guess is Chicago, IL

Jeff

Cyburbian
Thats definitly Philly. You took those pictures when Chicago was performing in town right?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Cancun?
It has a beach and it's sunny in the pictures. Plus all those signs that say Chicago are actually Mexican crosswalks built just for women.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The people in the second photo are wearing coats. It has to be a cold climate. Toronto?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Naaaah!

mendelman said:
My guess is Chicago, IL
Is that your final answer? After all, it's pretty sunny there, and it's by some water. Looks like one of those Asian tiger skylines, you know.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Re: Re: Naaaah!

Dan said:
Is that your final answer? After all, it's pretty sunny there, and it's by some water. Looks like one of those Asian tiger skylines, you know.
Yes....No....Maybe.....Not sure......Wait, maybe......ummm.....What....uhhhh.......nes.....yo......sleeping..............................................................................................................................

SGB

Cyburbian
The sign pranksters are at in again.

I won't be fooled: it's Hartford, CT. I know it is.

;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
it's totally gotta be like L.A., because that's where all the coolest shopping is, and like those look like some really big malls and stuff.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I'm almost sure it's Santiago! The Chicago signs must be mentioning the "Chicago Boys" or something ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
You guys are all wrong - it's Toronto, made up to look like Chicago for yet another movie shoot...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
SGB said:
The sign pranksters are at in again.

I won't be fooled: it's Hartford, CT. I know it is.

;)
Not to be rude but thats not Hartford, this is . . .

That domed building is the state house and the tower is some insurance company. I took this picture myself after a wild weekend in college. (Lots of immigrants there.)

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
You guys are all wrong - it's Toronto, made up to look like Chicago for yet another movie shoot...
Sorry, my friend, I've got this one right. It's Vancouver, made up to look like Chicago for yet another movie shoot.

C'mon, no one shoots in Toronto after SARS.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
pete-rock said:
Sorry, my friend, I've got this one right. It's Vancouver, made up to look like Chicago for yet another movie shoot.
Uhhh ... I think this is Vancouver. See the mountains and all ...

attached: vanc_bc_004.jpg

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Uhhh ... I think this is Vancouver. See the mountains and all ...
You can't fool me, Dan. They can use movie magic to make the mountains disappear. In your second photo, they even dressed up a site to look like the Little Village neighborhood in Chicago. They just forgot to take out the mountains.

In the movies, they can do anything!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Now I know what city it is... it's Funafuti!!! Yes.. I definately got it!!
/me dances in glory ;)

P.S.: Funafuti is the capital city of Tuvalu :)

boiker

Cyburbian
your all wrong....

it's obviously schaumburg illinois.

the water... that's the Busee Woods

the buildings.. Nortel and Zurich Life buildings.. and countless other suburban offices

the winter coats... urban heat island effect is substantially lessoned in the suburbs.

the "chicago" theater... seasonal decorations at woodfield mall.

can i have my prize now?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I hadnt been following this thread lately. I am in tears laughing. You all rock.

jordanb

Cyburbian
That last picture is definitely shot in Evanston IL. It's at the Chicago Ave L station. Clues are the name of the station, "Chicago", the purple "Linden" sign at the bottom, and the address grid location signs on the station sign.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Illinois? Come on! You people have obviously never been to Illinois. For your information, THIS IS CHICAGO!

I'm not sure, but the images Dan posted look a bit like a Denmark. Maybe Amsterdam?

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm beginning to think that's at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. Yeah, it's right by the King Kong ride-