• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 109

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
hint questions
is it in the midwest - east or west of the Mississippi River
on a lake or river

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: ???

BKM said:
Madison, Wisconsin?
Nothing higher than the capitol dome there, so very definitely wrong. How 'bout another college town, though, like Champaign-Urbana?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Some nice guesses. Cardinal is right, without the capitol dome dominating the skyline, it can't be Madison (although the road sweeping along the waterline is reminiscent of Nolen Drive along Lake Monona - oh, how I miss Wisconsin). JNA, it is not in the Midwest but it is west of the Mississippi. Cardinal, there is a state university in this city but it is definitely not Champaign-Urbana; the lushness and the topography shown in the picture is definitely not found in abundance here in Central Illinois (although Champaign is not bad for a Midwestern university town). Any more guesses, or do I have to post another picture?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Fort Collins?

Looks like there's a mountain in the background on the left.

Fort Collins, Colorado - Colorado State University?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Nerudite wins!

Change the angle, add a few mountains, and it's a dead giveaway. Congrats, Nerudite, here's something to keep you warm on those extremely long Alaska nights.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Actuallly... Mud Princess won... she said it first. Nerudite was just reafirming the statement.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Sorry about that, Mud Princess (and Nerudite). I noticed the earlier post after I posted Nerudite as the winner, and immediately tried to edit it. Unfortunately, that was the exact time that our crack MIS crew decided to crash our Internet server. It was also 5:30 PM and I had to leave. So, Nerudite, I am forced to make you abdicate your mukluks and give them to Mud Princess. Enjoy.