• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have no idea if this will be an easy one or not... but here it goes...

I've been to this City before, but I don't remember it looking anything like this (I guess because I didn't go up in a helicopter)... so good luck!

Guess this City...

Attachments

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Judging from the lack of responses so far...I'd say this one is really hard. I have no idea where this could be.

Any hints, Nerudite?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Why don't we try process of elimination. This is not in North America. Uhhhh... or Antarctica or Greenland.

Better? :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm guessing somewhere in South America - Rio de Jeniero, Brasilia, or Buenos Aires?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Looks like a canal in the back of the photo

Panama City, Panama? But technically isn't it in North America?

Can't be Cairo Egypt can it? It looks too lush.

BKM

Cyburbian
Manaus, Brazil? (It loos tropical)

or one of those monolithic "New Economy" cities in China in the tropical south?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Looks like a canal in the back of the photo

El Guapo said:
Panama City, Panama? But technically isn't it in North America?

Can't be Cairo Egypt can it? It looks too lush.

Oooooo... someone is a smarty! It is not either of those cities... but there is a canal in the photo.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Manaus, Brazil? (It loos tropical)

or one of those monolithic "New Economy" cities in China in the tropical south?
Not in China... or in Brazil.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: For what it is worth...

El Guapo said:
Canal City Japan
Is that the theme city in Japan? Ummmm... nope. But intriguing nonetheless...

It's not in Asia at all.

BKM

Cyburbian
Nairobi?

Kenya. Or Dar-Es-Salaam (something like that) in Tanzania?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Nairobi?

BKM said:
Kenya. Or Dar-Es-Salaam (something like that) in Tanzania?
Nope... wrong continent. (I think we're getting low on continents now), so maybe it will get easier.

BKM

Cyburbian
Darwin

Darwin, Northern Territory? Doesn't look like Brisbane, and too small for Sydney and Melbourne, and no coast for Perth.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Darwin

BKM said:
Darwin, Northern Territory? Doesn't look like Brisbane, and too small for Sydney and Melbourne, and no coast for Perth.
Nope... wrong continent... keep trying.

BKM

Cyburbian
I KNOW!

IKNOW!

It's Lille, France! That complex is named something like Eurocentre Lille or something like that!

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I KNOW!

IKNOW!

It's Lille, France! That complex is named something like Eurocentre Lille or something like that!
Right continent, wrong city. But hey... you're halfway there!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay ... process of elimination.

It's along a dual set of canals or navigable waterways, with some evidence of oxbow lakes.

The high-rise apartment block looks Canadian, but Montreal is hilly, and Welland and St. Catharines is too small.

Look behind the high-rises. Pitched roofs. Not too common in large Asian cities, and out-of-place for much of Central and South America. The complex has a distinctive European Brutalist look about it. The high rise with the red wing is very European.

The area is flat. The cleared earth shown below the major road in the photo looks like an enbankment of some sort. Look at is closer ... it's not. Low Countries - Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark ... maybe, but then why the vacant land so clsoe to what would be a shipping way?

I'll take a guess. Amsterdam. Not downtown Amsterdam, but rather an administrative complex or something.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Okay ... process of elimination.

It's along a dual set of canals or navigable waterways, with some evidence of oxbow lakes.

The high-rise apartment block looks Canadian, but Montreal is hilly, and Welland and St. Catharines is too small.

Look behind the high-rises. Pitched roofs. Not too common in large Asian cities, and out-of-place for much of Central and South America. The complex has a distinctive European Brutalist look about it. The high rise with the red wing is very European.

The area is flat. The cleared earth shown below the major road in the photo looks like an enbankment of some sort. Look at is closer ... it's not. Low Countries - Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark ... maybe, but then why the vacant land so clsoe to what would be a shipping way?

I'll take a guess. Amsterdam. Not downtown Amsterdam, but rather an administrative complex or something.
Wow... impressive deduction. However... 'tis wrong. Remind me to take you on my next tour of Central Europe, however, as you would probably be an interesting tour guide!

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm going to guess its some "La Defense" equivalent in Vienna, Austria

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
BKM said:
I'm going to guess its some "La Defense" equivalent in Vienna, Austria
You know ... I think you're right.

City map. Note the dual danube and the oxbow. The vantage point looks like it's directed towards an area called "UNO City." Here's a result of a Google image search.

I didn't expect any part of Austria to be that flat, actually. After seeing the evidence, though, I'll second BKM, and say it's his turn to post. Wien.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Hmm. Didn't seem to 'feel' right to me. But I was agreeing until I saw the next page of messages.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Nerudite's clue about this being a german-speaking city immediately made me think Austria - but I didn't think there would be such a flat area in the whole country...

BKM

Cyburbian
Cool! Now I have to figure out how to post photos. I don't really have a website, but I do have some JPEGS that will be stumpers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.