• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 111: Ghost Town Edition 7

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
View 1
94View_1aa_1900.jpg
View 2
94View_1ba_1900.jpg

Anyone know where this place is? This picture was probably taken around 1910, when the town was well on its way to "ghosthood"

(I couldn't get the pictures to upload properly. You have to click on the link. If someone could help so that they load automatically that would be great.

Image link fixed by giff

Last edited:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Re: Guess the Ghost Town #7

Super Amputee Cat said:
(I couldn't get the pictures to upload properly. You have to click on the link. If someone could help so that they load automatically that would be great)

Skel gave me the trick. When you paste the URL into the IMG form, delete everything to the right of the "?", including the "?". Then the picture appears in the post instead of the link.

Some more hints, please?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
No idea about the ghost town, but I bet it's in some semi desertic area, mabye somewhere in Colorado?

PS: SAC: For the images to show, you have to right click on the image and select properties, there will be a link to the image and it ends with ?xxxx you have to post it without that with the

tsc

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

Aurora....isn't that a suburb....or am I getting confused... I used to work for the planning director who is as the helm of the Aurora PD

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Based on the lack of proper suburban setback, the complete disregard for floor area ratio, and the lack of parking, I would have to say it is LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Based on the lack of proper suburban setback, the complete disregard for floor area ratio, and the lack of parking, I would have to say it is LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

T-O-N-O-P-A-H-N-E-V-A-D-A...

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
94NV_-_View_4-med.jpg
94NV_-_View_3a.jpg

Not Belmont

Founded ca 1868 after discover of rich silver loads nearby. 10,000 miners there by 1869. Established as a county seat in 1869.

Official population dropped to 6800 by 1870. Devastated by fires in 1873 and 1885 and eventually lost county seat status to nearby Ely.

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
We have a winner! How did you guess?

I'm just that smart.

No. I actually did a fast google for Nevada Ghost Towns Silver. and came across a site for Ghost Towns of White Pine County listing short town histories. Matched it to your clues and then acted like I knew the answer. Took all of a minute and a half.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Now make another game biscuit :) It'll be a shame if it gets lost again...

Congrats on the winning of the game :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Now make another game biscuit :) It'll be a shame if it gets lost again...

Congrats on the winning of the game :)

I'll do some searching for more ghost towns. I'll be out of town this weekend but I'll try to have something for you by sometime Monday.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I'm just that smart.

No. I actually did a fast google for Nevada Ghost Towns Silver. and came across a site for Ghost Towns of White Pine County listing short town histories. Matched it to your clues and then acted like I knew the answer. Took all of a minute and a half.

I have actually visited Hamilton. It was back in 1996 and my wife and I were half-way through our great month-long trip out west, on our way from Logan, Utah to Las Vegas. We stayed overnight at a state park near Ely, Nevada and while sitting in a restaurant in town, I said, "There's a good ghost town about 50 miles away from here. It's supposed to have a few ruins still standing, including this nice brick facade. Let's go see it!"

We had to hurry because it would be only about an hour before the sun set. Hamilton was 10 miles down a dirt road off of U. S. 50, so the going would be slow once we were off the highway. But we did make it.

Most of the ruins that were supposed to still be there were gone. According to a local we talked to in Ely, an earthquake hit the area a few years ago and knocked down the remaining wall of the great brick structure. One or two ramshackle miners' shacks still stood, as well as foundations for several other structures. On a nearby hill, stood four or five abandoned mobile homes, remnants of a mini silver mining revival during the 1980s that later dried up.

There was nobody else around, we had the whole valley to ourselves. We hung around a few more minutes and then headed back up the dirt road. I wish we could have stayed longer, but the sun had set and it was getting quite dark.

On the way back, we almost ran into a team of wild horses! They ran across the road, and we could barely make out their silhouette in the last glimmer of twilight. It was one of the most memorable events of the whole trip.

Last edited: