• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 112: Ghost Town Edition 8

biscuit

Cyburbian
This shouldn't be too hard.
These are all links...So no cheating!

The town as seen in the eighties

The town back in the sixties

Russian Orthodox Church

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
it doesn't look like much of a ghost town in the latest photo...something happen recently? Is this place totally abandoned now?

biscuit

Cyburbian
This town is almost completely abandoned and only a few structures remain standing.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Can't think of the name--is it Clinton, PA? The one with the fire burning through the coal seam that can't be put out, therefore displacing 90% of the residents and taking the infrastructure with it??

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Can't think of the name--is it Clinton, PA? The one with the fire burning through the coal seam that can't be put out, therefore displacing 90% of the residents and taking the infrastructure with it??
I think you mean Centralia, Pa.

It this it, biscuit?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
I think you mean Centralia, Pa.

It this it, biscuit?
And we have a winner. Told ya it wouldn't be too hard.

Centralia Pennsylvania no longer exists on some maps. The story began sometime in 1961 along the outskirts of town when trash was burned in an old open pit mine. The fire in the open pit caught an exposed vein of coal on fire. The coal then began to burn underground and the fire still burns through old coal mines and veins following the coal under the town. The fire, smoke, fumes and toxic gases that came up though the back yards, basements and streets of Centralia practically ripped the town apart. Attempts to put the fires out were unsuccessful.

Here's how Centralia lookd back in 1998

Lovely, isn't it.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Actually I was planning on doing Centralia myself. You beat me to it. Good to know someone else knows about this place. I have been following this story ever since I read about it in Time Magazine back in 1981.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Belle said:
Funny thing, this was the story line on The Guardian tonight. Weird.
That is weird. What was the plot?
I usually watch The Guardian but was out of the house last night and missed it. They always have great shots of the city skyline and landmarks around town.