• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 116: Ghost Town Edition 10

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It always amazes me to see such a place, with its expanse and large buildings indicating wealth and population, end up as a ghost town. That said, I haven't a clue. The barren landscape makes me think of Nevada. Las Vegas?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
It always amazes me to see such a place, with its expanse and large buildings indicating wealth and population, end up as a ghost town. That said, I haven't a clue. The barren landscape makes me think of Nevada. Las Vegas?

Actually this may be one of those "semi" ghost towns as some people may still live there. Or more like a "quarter" ghost town - or less.

The population figures do not show up on the Rand McNally atlas though so I'm not certain how many people still live there if any.

But you can bet that most of these buildings are gone, with many more abandoned.

It is in Nevada but not Las Vegas.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Lone Mountain, Nevada

(I obviously have no idea, but felt a Tolkien reference was necessary)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Goldfield, NV

Goldfield is correct! How did you guess?

Evidently this was one of the larger and more successful of the mining towns in Nevada. This book I have, Nevada Ghost Towns & Mining Camps has over 20 pages dedicated to this town alone. And as you can see from the photographs it was quite a thriving place with several brick buildings.

Evidently the town is still in existence, as it is still the county seat of Esmeralda County. But it is a shadow of its former self. In 1910, about the time of the town's peak, the population was 4,838. It was the 3rd biggest town in Nevada, behind Reno (pop. 10,867) and Rawhide (5,100). By 1950, the population was down to 976 and by 1970, the population was only 185.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Goldfield is correct! How did you guess?

Evidently this was one of the larger and more successful of the mining towns in Nevada. This book I have, Nevada Ghost Towns & Mining Camps has over 20 pages dedicated to this town alone. And as you can see from the photographs it was quite a thriving place with several brick buildings.

Evidently the town is still in existence, as it is still the county seat of Esmeralda County. But it is a shadow of its former self. In 1910, about the time of the town's peak, the population was 4,838. It was the 3rd biggest town in Nevada, behind Reno (pop. 10,867) and Rawhide (5,100). By 1950, the population was down to 976 and by 1970, the population was only 185.

Hotel Esmeralda - Esmeralda County gave it away.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Hotel Esmeralda - Esmeralda County gave it away.

Yeah, I wondered if one of the hotel names would give it away. But in the haste to post more photos, I didn't see the Esmeralda sign. If I would have noticed that sign, I would have blocked it out!

Here is a contemporary view of Goldfield

Last edited: