• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 118

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
So far as I can tell, we haven't had a GTC in the numbered sequence since October 13, so it's time to pull a picture out of my GTC hat!

Where is this place?

1419downtown7.jpg

A prize awaits the winner.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I think I drove through there on my move to the City that Rocks.

I'll say Moline, Illinois.

RichmondJake said:
Definitely not. Tulsa has a great 1980s-era skyline, and some impressive architecture for a city of its size and location.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Keep trying...

Some good guesses so far, but none correct as yet.

Definitely not Tulsa, as Dan said. Peoria also has a skyline that belies it size., so it isn't Peoria. I'll give credit, however, for all of the Midwest guesses.

Bangorian

Gosh, it sure looks familiar. Could it be in MI? If it is, Given the size of the river, I'd be tempted to say Bay City or Grand Rapids. But Grand Rapids has a much "bigger" skyline and more sprawl...

I'm sure I'm WAY off.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Totally wild guess using only the magic powers of a map...
Nauvoo, Illinois (I guess everybody's going for Illinous for a reason...)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
We have a winner... czeiner! correctly guessed it, the Gem City, Quincy, Illinois.

Not bad for one of your first posts...welcome!

Your prize is a pic of the Lorado Taft sculpture of the Lincoln Douglas debate that took place in Quincy. The sculpture is located in Washington Park on the site of the debate.
1419debate-med.jpg

SW MI Planner: Nope, not Ypsi, but do you recognize my avatar?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner: Nope, not Ypsi, but do you recognize my avatar?
Of course :) Did my undergrad and grad at Eastern, and lived a block from the tower almost every year. I wasn't sure, but it looked like Ford Lake in the background.

czeiner

who'd a thought??

I just figured that it had to be the mississippi in the back ground. I'll find a pick tonight and post a new GWC in the morning...