• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 123

Hceux

Cyburbian
Okay, here's my attempt for the GTC #100. (Hopefully, I don't screw up in putting up photos up).

Clue: It's up in Canada, where I'm from.

Note: I'm studying for exams right now...so don't mind me if I don't respond frequently. Since I expect this will be a challenging one, I'll let you people brainstorm for a while.

Hceux

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk, good try, but Kingston is a university town of about 113,000 people. But, I must praise you for recognizing that you're in the right province of Canada! :)

Another clue: it's a small town! (Way smaller than Kingston!)

My, I'm too generous with hints (there's three in this post!).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
DH I dount he'd be THAT obvious.... ok mabye it's Saint John, NB... but then again, besides Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa I'm completely ignorant about Canada...

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Is it Port Hope or Brighton?

I think those cities are smaller than Kingston and they're coastal on or near a major highway. I'm trying to remember from a vacation to Toronto a few years ago when we went for a drive along the shore of the lake while visiting Niagra Falls and Canada.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Ka-CHING! Suburb Repairman got it bang on! How did you know, considering that your locale is in Texas?

Yep that's Brighton, Ontario. It's a small town of about 5000 people. Once an agricultural centre, it's now a combination of a bedroom community for those who commute to Belleville or Trenton, a retirement community by the Bay of Brighton for those retired Toronto folks, and a ghetto-ville for those down at the failed marina area.

Too bad that they put that gawd-awful new grocery store as it is located...it torn down the old grocery store building that once faced the Main Street to make a parking lot for the store that is located in the old parking lot of the old grocery store! It's like a huge gap of two front teeth on the main drag.

Anyways...it survives as a town of skater kids!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Hceux said:
Ka-CHING! Suburb Repairman got it bang on! How did you know, considering that your locale is in Texas?
Contrary to popular belief, some of us Texans do realize that there are other places on Earth besides Texas! ;)

I went on a vacation to western NY a few years ago when by brother lived in Pennsylvania. We're both outdoors-types (RUGGED) and love camping/biking. We decided to make a lap around the lake-starting at Niagra Falls and looping around through Canada and coming back into the U.S. near Watertown, NY. There were a bunch of quaint little towns along the way and I thought that the lighthouse looked familiar.

Yeah, that grocery store looks a little out of place. I don't remember that store from our trip; it must be pretty new. Looks like something they would build here in Texas. :( By the way, what university is in Kingston?

Hceux

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman, yes, you're right. The grocery store is a new addition to the townscape. It's about 2 years old new. It's very out of place, like a suburb grocery store in a small town.

You asked what are the universities in Kingston. There's a college called St. Lawrence College. And there are two universities: Royal Military College (where you go in get your university degree without paying tuition, but serving to the Canadian National Defense) and Queen's University (a university that is one of the best in Canada). Do you know these ones too?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I've heard the names, but don't know much about them. I had heard that Queens was an excellent university. That's a purdy area up there!