• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 125: Historic Edition 1

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
How about starting a new "Guess the.." catagory?

We'll call it "Guess the City - Historic" in which historic views of the the city in question are posted to see who it the first to correctly guess which city it is.

I'll start.

94City_1.jpg

94TX_-_Houston_-_Main_Street_3.jpg

94City_3.jpg

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I think Austion as well. There is one sign "Texas Company" and another for "Capitol" something....

nerudite

Cyburbian
Texas Company is early "Texaco"... so I'm still going with Texas. Size of the buildings suggests Houston.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Texas Company is early "Texaco"... so I'm still going with Texas. Size of the buildings suggests Houston.
Houston is correct. Very good eye, Nerudite! I try and block out any obvious clues that may show up on signs and storefronts, but that one slipped through.

Here are a couple of more views.

94TX_-_Houston_-_Birds_eye_View_1_ca_1949.jpg

94TX_-_Houston_-_Main_Street_8_ca_1943-med.jpg

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I was thinking it was a capital city since it appears there is a capitol building in this photo...upper left.
94City_3-med.jpg

nerudite

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Houston is correct. Very good eye, Nerudite! I try and block out any obvious clues that may show up on signs and storefronts, but that one slipped through.
That was Chet's good eye... not mine. I saw it after I read his comment about Austin. :)

I'll continue the new game and post some historic photos in the next day or so. Fun game!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
He had it blocked out earlier.
Yeah, once the city was guessed, I went back and deleted the old photo and uploaded the unaltered one. I was going to do it to the 3rd picture too, but someone had used it in a quote, so I was afraid it would show up as a red "X".

I'll probably get around to changing the others.