• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 129: Suburban Edition

Cullen

from
Cyburbia Forums > Cyburbia Community > Cities and Places > Gtc #104

Originally posted by Yodan731
Who wants to start cooking with fire and do a "Guess the Suburb #1"
this is the first of what may turn out to be not many "guess the suburb" postings, since so many suburbs look so much the same. I think this one will be pretty easy to get though because it is historic.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Levittown, PA?

(I'm pretty sure there's a Levittwon, PA, isn't there?)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
mendelman said:
Levittown, PA?(I'm pretty sure there's a Levittwon, PA, isn't there?)
There sure is, but if memory serves, it has a little topography. I believe there may be a Levittown in Maryland as well.

This is definitely Levittown, Long Island, NY, USA. Now that it has some age, and some trees, it isn't all that bad aesthetically.

H

Cyburbian
Awesome. I actaully have a friend that used to live there. He liked it.

Cullen

YES it is Levitown NY, that was really fast.

It is the godfather of the Genericville USA.

You win this:

because it all looks the same and you will get lost...

and yes, there is a Levittown PA, I guess after the one here in NY on long island was built, PA wanted their very own too. Yes (surprise!) it too look exactly the same.

You are very correct as well, that by now, it has blossomed into a rather nice place.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Ahhhhh, Levittown.

The value of mass production of homes. You could have your own house with as much unique identity as a BIC pen.

Not to mention the everlasting durability of particle board and 2x4 frame construction. Will outlast the pyramids!

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, at least the 1950s Levittowns were affordable to "average joes."

Today's California stucco wonderlands (Rancho Los Levitos, perhaps??) cost $300,000 and up. :)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
BKM said:
Today's California stucco wonderlands (Rancho Los Levitos, perhaps??) cost $300,000 and up. :)
What? $300K is expensive. You guys can afford it, because you're all movie stars, right?

;-)

Seriously, we could have more affordable housing now, if we viewed housing as less of a consumer item (read: huge profit maker).

I could go for a little cape cod house, but not the Levitt kind, but a genuine England cape cod, mmmmm timber framing.