• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 136: Hillbilly Edition

biscuit

Cyburbian
This t'ain't such a hard 'um.
Well I'ma guessing that them there is photos of Charleston, West Virginy

H

Cyburbian
Let me start by saying that naturally WV is an extremely beautiful place and has many wonderful towns. I dont want to put down a place where people live, but wow, WV really shocked me when I went skiing there a few years ago. The northern area the slopes were in was nice, but the rural areas in the central and southern part of the state really felt like a different world from anywhere I have ever been. If you guys haven’t been there, you need to go and see the rural poverty first hand. It is mind blowing.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
H said:
If you guys haven’t been there, you need to go and see the rural poverty first hand. It is mind blowing.
Been there, and have seen it first hand. Not a pretty thing in a country that's suppose to be rich. If you drive through there with NY plates beware B-)

biscuit

Cyburbian
H said:
Let me start by saying that naturally WV is an extremely beautiful place and has many wonderful towns. I dont want to put down a place where people live, but wow, WV really shocked me when I went skiing there a few years ago. The northern area the slopes were in was nice, but the rural areas in the central and southern part of the state really felt like a different world from anywhere I have ever been. If you guys haven’t been there, you need to go and see the rural poverty first hand. It is mind blowing.
The areas around Morgantown (a college and hospital town), Greenbriar County (resort area), Martinsburg (suburban D.C.), and even parts of Charleston are really not that bad. But your right that many of the other parts of the state have a wretching level poverty the likes that I've never seen before. It really feels like going into a time warp where many people do not have indoor plumbing or electricity and often have nothing more than a rudimentary education. It such a shame because West Virginia really is a beautiful place.

Plus, they produce some prolific talent there as well. ;-)