• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKM

Cyburbian
OK. I am going to cut in line here. THIS photo has no flags or other giveaways.

294view-med.jpg

Hope I got it right this time.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Unless it was just an odd day, it's not Southern Europe.
The round towers look very similar to the kind of stuff I've seen all over France, but the stone looks to be the wrong colour for the South of France (and presumably any other Southern Europian area) (ergo, not Carcassonne). Square towers aren't at all common in France and they're generally in the East.

The building between the towers looks like stuff I've seen all over Northern and East France, and in photos of other countries to the East. Definitely not Scandinavian, though, so South of Denmark. It doesn't put me in mind of Belgium (ergo, not Maastrichte) or the Netherlands. I don't know enough about Luxemburg to judge. It doesn't put me in mind of Eastern Europe at all, but again, I don't really know enough.

I'd be tempted tyo say it's in a Germanic country, e.g. Germany, Austria, Switzerland (apologies to the Swiss if that's insulting).

How am I doing?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok who knows anything about Cathedrals? Check out the bell tower in the background

Anyone?

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Ok who knows anything about Cathedrals? Check out the bell tower in the background
All I can make out is 'Gothic', which means it's either 13th to 16th Century (ish) or from the 19th Century onwards revival. The first is associated with the UK, Northern France, the Holy Roman Empire (Germany, Austria, german-speaking Swizerland), the Low Lands, Luxembourg, the ex-Czechoslovakia (sp? & Prague?) and that general area. I'm not sure how far the revival got.

BKM

Cyburbian
Closer

Nope to everyone.

Journeymouse: I am impressed at your erudition. You are getting closer-it is not in southern Europe.

Let me say that it is in the "liberated zone."

BKM

Cyburbian
Brussels

Nope. Unless Brussels has been liberated from chocolate addiction? :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This is too far east, but Istanbul?

What about Calais?

BKM

Cyburbian
Istanbul or Calais?

Calais-nope. Although the US Army did help liberate France, that's not what I meant.

Istanbul-nope. It's in Europe proper.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm thinking it's a smallish East German, Czechoslovakian, or Polish town...

Rostock?

Pilsner?

BKM

Cyburbian
Polish or East German.

Getting closer :).

Its not a big city by international standards, but it is a national capital.

BKM

Cyburbian
Nope to both posts :).

Another hint: This City was an epitome of early (very early) multinational capitalism.
(Pretty obscure hint)

Northern Europe+ Liberated Zone+ Early Multinational Capitalism =?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Okay, you threw me off with the Polish/German acknowledgement. I'm thinking now it's one of the Baltic capitals.

Riga?

boiker

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Nope to both posts :).

Another hint: This City was an epitome of early (very early) multinational capitalism.
(Pretty obscure hint)

Northern Europe+ Liberated Zone+ Early Multinational Capitalism =?
Frankfort, Germany or Rotterdam

BKM

Cyburbian
Tallinn

Yes! The photographer entitled this: "The View from Kiss Hill"

From photos, this is one of the cities I really want to visit.

The official website had a link to a really cool collection of photos from a local Estonian photographer. I'll post the rest of the photos. There is one photo that shows a tiny cafe incorporated into a stucco building in a massive stone streetscape. Really, really cool city (although it is ringed, I understand, with Soviet-era slab housing projects).

The City Hall is also extremely cool. It looks like the kind of City Hall that shouts out "cower, ignorant peasants before our might." Given that the City was founded by German merchants, who basically stomped the Estonian peasants under their boots for 600+ years, this is probably a great image. Still, a beautiful city, with some fantastic parks.

Why do the most oppressive social systems produce the best architecture, while we get the strips of fast food joints and Megalomarts? (rhetorical question :) )

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Re: Tallinn

BKM said:
From photos, this is one of the cities I really want to visit.
Shame you missed this year's Eurovision Song Contest (it was in Tallin this year)... :)

Seriously, I'm beginning to wish I didn't take the afternoon off. I missed the answer!

BKM

Cyburbian
Euro Song

I'm an unrepentent metal head (I know I'm way to old for it, but...).

The Song Contest would have probably inspired inappropriate and mean comments :)

Its wierd, though, that 75% of my music collection is Scandinavian. A British band, though, helped change my music taste for the "worse."

I do want to visit the Baltics, though. I like photographing rural vernacular, so I'm sure the small villages would cost me a huge amount of film. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.