• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 141: Mobius Strip Edition

biscuit

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Is anybody else getting a McDonalds #2659887549 vibe here?
I was thinking the same thing at first, but upon looking at the photos a little closer I noticed that the landscaping more closely resembled the McDonald's #2659887538 across the street.

H

Cyburbian
well it is not Knoxville, TN becuase there the Mac's roofs are Volunteer Orange. So I will go with Evansville, IN. Why? Why not. :-D

Could be anywhere, as I am sure that is the point.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
If I'm interpreting this correctly, you are suggesting that these pictures are the typology of the American auto-suburban landscape, so my answer is:

Any Suburban City, USA

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The fat guy with the camera screams tourist-town, but I don't think I've seen any pink-roofed McDonalds around here.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Define what constitutes a "Mobius Strip Edition" of GTC.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
It can't be MACkinaw City, Michigan because they closed the MACdonalds there.
You can still cross the Big MAC Bridge to St. Ignace and buy a MAC on the Upper Peninsula side of the Straits of MACkinac.

Bear

simulcra

Interestingly I've seen that exact picture before with that guy and the Ronald McDonald from a specific city, but I can't remember from where.

Although I don't think the point of this GTC is to actually establish a city.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Its somewhere in Arkansas, next to that Wal-mart;)
Yeah, I was thinking about starting a Guess the City: Tragedy of the Commons Edition and posting a bunch of Wal-Mart pictures. Apologies to Garrett Hardin. But Wal-Mart has been discussed ad infinitum around here, so I'm sure there'd be a bunch of yawns anyway. Thinking about the Tragedy of the Commons, however, may make for an intersting thread in the Economic Development forum, sans the typical Wal-Mart bashing.

This Mobius Strip concept interested me yesterday, but I think most folks get it - the number of McDonald's in the world is practically never-ending.

Anyone want to discuss development predictability patterns in terms of Schroedinger's Cat as applied to relatively non-restrictive and liberal zoning ordinances?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
It can't be MACkinaw City, Michigan because they closed the MACdonalds there.
You can still cross the Big MAC Bridge to St. Ignace and buy a MAC on the Upper Peninsula side of the Straits of MACkinac.

Bear
Can't be Upper Peninsula, it has an out door play area. They could only use it two months of the year...