• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 143: Ethnic Edition

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
In keeping with Slave to the Grind's recent GTC posting of a small city with a strong ethnic history and identity (New Ulm, MN), here's another. Guess the city and the nationality that originally settled it.

1419ethnictown2.jpg

biscuit

Cyburbian
Let me quess... Is it a "lifestyle/ towne centre" in a WASPy Chicago suburb?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
DecaturHawk said:
In keeping with Slave to the Grind's recent GTC posting of a small city with a strong ethnic history and identity (New Ulm, MN), here's another. Guess the city and the nationality that originally settled it.

I know, but will wait to give others a chance. (nice Molengracht)

BKM

Cyburbian
Isn't it that little historic town in Northwestern Illinois settled by the Germans. Darn it. I can't think of the name!

GALENA??

Cornish tin miners??

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Isn't it that little historic town in Northwestern Illinois settled by the Germans. Darn it. I can't think of the name!

GALENA??

Cornish tin miners??
Galena!? Not even close. Galena looks like a river town.

When you say Cornish you are probably thinking of Mineral Point, in southwestern Wisconsin. You should be looking at cut stone buildings there.

This is too easy for people familiar with that area of the midwest. Like Giff, I'll keep the secret for a while. You still have a "window of opportunity" to guess it.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I couldn’t find anything particularly ethnic about the place, but based upon Cardinal’s “window of opportunity” clue, I’m going to guess Clear Lake, Iowa.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
biscuit said:
I couldn’t find anything particularly ethnic about the place, but based upon Cardinal’s “window of opportunity” clue, I’m going to guess Clear Lake, Iowa.

I guess you havn't been "Window Shopping" lately

biscuit

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I guess you havn't been "Window Shopping" lately
Doh! How could I have missed that obvious clue. All it would have taken was a mapquest search.

It's historic Pella, Iowa. First settled by Dutch religious separatists.

Pella Doors and Windows was the first thing to pop into my head after Cardinal's original clue. I guessed Clear Lake because I knew that Pella has a manufacturing plant there. I had no idea there was actually a town of Pella. Looks like a nice place.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
biscuit said:
Doh! How could I have missed that obvious clue. All it would have taken was a mapquest search.

It's historic Pella, Iowa. First settled by Dutch religious separatists.

Pella Doors and Windows was the first thing to pop into my head after Cardinal's original clue. I guessed Clear Lake because I knew that Pella has a manufacturing plant there. I had no idea there was actually a town of Pella. Looks like a nice place.

It is a nice town. They spent big bucks to build the downtown in the pic. Pella Windows has several plants in various locations. They even have a Dutch themed WalMart. Vermeer manufacturing is also located in Pella, anyone in the City Business has seen their stuff.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Biscuit is da winner!

Way to go Biscuit! With a hint like the ones Cardinal and Giff gave out, it was only a matter of time before someone would get this one. Yes, Pella is a great little town near Des Moines with Dutch roots. The "Mollengracht Plaza" in the picture is an example of what you can do in a small town (pop. about 9,000) when you think big. The project won an ASLA award for RDG Crose Gardner Shukert, the Des Moines firm that designed it. Pella's celebration of its Dutch roots is probably second only to larger and better known Holland, MI (although the folks in Sioux Center, another Dutch community up near Giff's neighborhood, might take issue with that).

Here's your prize:
1419rugby.jpg
A date with the Pella DUTCH WOMEN'S RUGBY Club!