• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 145: Big World Cities

I would like this thread to be a GTC about any city worldwide, but it must meet only one criteria:

The Metropolitan area population must be GREATER than 1 million people. The city population must be greater than 800,000 people.

Also, you must add some description of your city, some clues, and maybe some photos.

When someone guesses what the city is, that person posts their city and so on

I will start off in the next post.

The population of this city is between 2 million and 6.5 million people.

This isn't a very lit up city, though it has some nice streets in the city centre

Some zoning is not where you would expect it to be within the city (some very bad planning)

There are alot of parks in this city

There is no international airport in this city

One word clue: PARIS

Here are some pics:

Though the pics are extremely old, ALL of the buildings still exist to this very day, nothing has changed there except the people and cars ofcourse.

Another clue:
The temperature range for this city is very dramatic. It can go up to almost 35*C in some summers, and down to about -20*C to -40*C in the winter. It never used to be this cold in winter though. The average winter temperature is much higher than those figures, but huge depressions happen over this city which drops its temperature down to some -40*C for a period of a few days or even a week. These happen pretty periodically throughout the winter. Dramatic drop in temperatures, January 14 1997, at 3.20am a temperature of -61*C was recorded in the city centre - one of the coldest ever recorded in the history of the country. That winter was also one of the coldest winters in history for this city with sudden huge drops in temperature. I was there that winter, came out of the house at about 7am, when the temperature had increased to -52*C. By the end of the day it was abhout -25*C, 3 days later -57*C was recorded early morning, and a maximum of -39*C for that day. That winter as many people died of cold as they did of hunger as there were no supplies and hardly any transportation at that temperatures, water pipes froze, gap pipes also froze, there was no gas, electrical heating needed, it was extremely hard to get hold of water. The city wasn't designed for those temperatures. If you had to go out of the house on those extreme days, you had to phone where you were going and tell them the route you were taking. If you didn;t arrive in an acceptable amount of time, authorities were contacted. 95% of the time the one means of transportation was walking. Not much snow, looked misty, visibility extremely poor. Breathing was very very difficult. Up to about -35*C the city is fully functional though.

Now here is something you might not have known. This city is where I was born. My grandparents live there, and I go to visit every winter for at least a month, very used to extreme low temperatures.

BKM

Cyburbian
Bucharest!

Bucharest, Romania. They claim to be the Paris of the East.

One comment about this thread, though. San Francisco is definitely a major metropolitan area, with San Jose over 5 million people. But, the City of San Francisco only has under 800,000 people. There may be other cases like this, too. I would add a coda that the City can be smaller if it is an important regional or national center-or a capital city. :)

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Bucharest.

Beat me to it, BKM, while I was scratching around trying to log in.

Oh well, make the next one hard.

Hceux

Cyburbian
If the correct answer is Bucharest - not saying that it isn't though - would someone like to explain why this city experience such an extreme ranges in temperature.

I mean, when I first read this GTC, I was thinking that this city could be Vladivostok, Russia. But, I guess I'm really wrong... since Bucharest is on the other side of the continent.

BKM

Cyburbian
If it is, which I think it is, bear in mind that it is in the center of the European continent, not all that far from Russia. That's what a "continental climate" gives you. Kansas, or my hometown in Indiana, is miserably cold, but also miserably hot and sticky.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hum.. if the city population must be 800,000 or more.. Santiago would be disqualified, because the municipality of Santiago only has ~350,000 inhabitants, but the metropolitan area is around 5 million, only that it's subdivided in about 33 different municipalities, so sometimes you cross an avenue and you're in another municipality.
And that's the hell hole I'm going to be living in just about 2 more days... :p

el Guapo

Capitalist
[ot]
BKM said:
If it is, which I think it is, bear in mind that it is in the center of the European continent, not all that far from Russia. That's what a "continental climate" gives you. Kansas, or my hometown in Indiana, is miserably cold, but also miserably hot and sticky.

But it is a DRY miserable! :)

[/ot]

Yeah we can make it under 800,000 if it is important, or a capital.

Yeh, i was hoping this would be easy. It is Bucharest

BKM to post the next one here.

I would say that if it is under 800,000 people (city) and 1 million people (metro) it has to be a capital of a US state or world country seeing as we are talking about the whole world here. Some cities may seem obviously important to some people, but not to others, so I think it's only fair that we only limit it to population.

BKM

Cyburbian
Cool. I'll look around for a new one. I had some in my Member's Gallery, but they've already been played, so to speak.

Just to finish up your post, though, I thought this was a pretty neat photo from contemporary Bucaresti. A fascinating, if troubling country! I quite enjoyed Robert Kaplan's "Balkan Ghosts"

294downtown-med.jpg

BKM

Cyburbian
Here's mine

I really like the people walking down that street. The fashionably dressed woman in the foreground, I could see her as a Securitate mistress. :) The white coated guy: some long suffering leader of his village. :)
Oops on the spelling.

As for mine: Here are the clues:

1. The New Arts flourished here.

2. A national capital.

3. Did Ronnie help set me free?

294World_City_5.jpg

294World_City_2-med.jpg

Hceux

Cyburbian
Wow, that last picture really reminds me of a street in Edinburgh. But of course it's different architecture and backdrop...

I didn't know that Bucharest had two-level street plan. Or that's what I see in this photo that reminds me of Edinburgh...am I reading the photo incorrectly?!

biscuit

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I really like the people walking down that street. The fashionably dressed woman in the foreground, I could see her as a Securitate mistress. :) The white coated guy: some long suffering leader of his village. :)
Oops on the spelling.

As for mine: Here are the clues:

1. The New Arts flourished here.

2. A national capital.

3. Did Ronnie help set me free?

294World_City_5.jpg

294World_City_2-med.jpg
Could it be Prague, Czech Republic?

BKM

Cyburbian
Nope. You all are dancing around the vicinity of the answer.

It is a big city, but it is also pretty obscure.

One more semi-clue: their neighbors were good at the 'hoops.

BKM

Cyburbian
Nope.

Another clue: There are a lot of Russians in this City, which is not a Russian city.

BKM

Cyburbian
Nope. There aren't too many Eastern European capitals left.

Its located on a sea that's a Monopoly street.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Well, that would leave Helsinki.

EDIT: I was thinking Baltic Avenue, but forgot there's also a Mediterranean. Could it be Tirana?

BKM

Cyburbian
Biscuit wins the prize. The site I borrowed the photos from actually had a neat interior shot of a Latvian pastry shop, but I didn't download that photo :)

Anyway, the pastries are there for your enjoyment!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mmmmm... pastries...

Here's the next one

*This is a capital place to live
*Home to the nations largest university
*Has a population of approximately 1.3 million within the city limits.

BKM

Cyburbian
Pretoria, South Africa??

Lithuania's capital is actually Vilnius, btw :)

jsk1983

Cyburbian
jsk1983 said:
Klaipeda, Lithuania?
That was a guess for the Latvian city that was obviuosly wrong, I failed to go the second page and see that it had already been answered.

biscuit

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Pretoria, South Africa??
Well, that one was obviously too easy, which disappoints me because I was looking forward to whipping out my "The citizens here can be a real Boars," pun/clue. Then again it's probably best that I wasn't given the chance :-b

Anyway BKM, pack the Land Rover because you're going on safari!

BKM

Cyburbian
I was completely stumped, until I saw the trees. There is nothing that looks like the jacarandas of Pretoria. I have to admit, I didn't know Pretoria was that big. Always thought it was a sleepy, mid-sized town of, say, 300,000.

Edit: I would shoot myself in the foot with that getup :)

OK. This is an oldie, so anyone who remembers it from before. It may be pretty easy, 'cause its pretty distinctive (more so than Riga).

My clue: The fruits of exploration built this world capital.

294faded_glory_2.jpg

B'lieve

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Too easy. :)

Lisbon ranks pretty far up there on my list of cities to visit.

You win an original recording of the Fado, the "Blues" of Portugal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=2597058171&category=1565
:( "The page cannot be found." Sounds interesting, too. Thanks, though, I'll remember to look for "Fado" next time I'm in a music store that sells international music. Or if I ever go to Portugal! (Yet another place I would like to go to.)

B'lieve

Cyburbian
At last, my first posted image!
Unfortunately, this is the only one of the bunch that I was able to attach. I may add more if needed, just as soon as I figure out how.

The clues:
1. It is a Latin American city of well over 1 million people.
2. It is a seaport.
3. It is not a national capital.

Attachments

Bangorian

The clues:
1. It is a Latin American city of well over 1 million people.
2. It is a seaport.
3. It is not a national capital.

Well, I can hardly see the picture, but my (un)educated guess is Sao Paolo.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
MaineMan said:
Well, I can hardly see the picture, but my (un)educated guess is Sao Paolo.
Well, I've figured out how to post attachments, but not in-the-post images (I think I have to have them in an online gallery or something to do that). That was a bit small, but there's limits on the size of attachments that the pics I have exceed even after cropping. This is the only other one that doesn't exceed the limits.

Nope, not Sao Paulo.

More Clues:
4. This city is in a Spanish-speaking country
5. The country has a significant Native population (in both absolute numbers and percentage of population)

Attachments

B'lieve

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Guayaquil, Equador?
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! (I didn't think anybody would get it that quick.)

Your prize is a vacation to lovely Ecuador ! Hike the Andean forests, where the world's highest diversity of bird species serenade you and your fiancee. Take a trip out to the Galapagos, and see the giant tortoises. Walk the streets of the historic port city of Guayaquil, where traditional markets and modern Western billboards stand cheek by jowl in the shadow of ancient cathedrals and sleek skyscrapers. Enjoy seven days meeting interesting people and soaking up the tropical atmosphere, and six nights in the "Luxurious" Hilton Colon Guayaquil . It even has a sushi bar! (Sorry, no pepper bar.) Don't forget to try their world-famous peaches ;-) .

Now, 'tis your turn, Senor Biscuit.