• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 146

el Guapo

Capitalist
All but the last photo could have been shot in Kansas City. But I doubt that is correct. So I'm guessing.......somewhere nice with a port.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
The bridge looks like the Julien Dubuque bridge, but big lake vessels never make it there, so I'm going to guess that the bridge is the Blue Water Bridge linking Port Huron, MI to Sarnia, ON.

Bangorian

Portsmouth?

I've never been there - but that looks a bit like the Piscataqua Bridge, and there's an old lift bridge in the background, and I think theres a lot of industry on their bay.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
MaineMan said:
Portsmouth?

I've never been there - but that looks a bit like the Piscataqua Bridge, and there's an old lift bridge in the background, and I think theres a lot of industry on their bay.
I believe it may be Portsmouth, NH. Here's a view from the opposite side of the Piscataqua Bridge....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Sheboygan, WI?

or

Milwaukee, WI?

or

Waukegan, IL?

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
Just a wild guess - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
We have a winner, eh!

My grandparents lived in Hamilton for many years, with a view like this from the Niagara Escarpment.

Hamilton often gets a bad rap because it was a steel town and manufacturing centre for so long, and suffered like Buffalo, Cleveland, and other Great Lakes cities. Still, it has some wonderful neighborhoods and attractions.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
You said it was a nice city with a port. You lied ;)
It's so sad... I had always heard that Torontoans were jealous of their great neighbour, I just never thought I'd see it here. ;)

Hceux

Cyburbian
Wow, what a surprise. None of the photos really gave it away to me. It was actually the brick Victorian architecture that made me think of Ontario. Then, I kinda put the puzzle on the basis the fact there's a bridge over a water body. And made a guess!

BKM

Cyburbian
It's so sad... I had always heard that Torontoans were jealous of their great neighbour, I just never thought I'd see it here.

That ain't nothing. Go the Cafe at www.urbanphoto.net for TRUE intra-Canadian City bashing :)

Hceux

Cyburbian
So what's up with Hamilton, ON?

When did it lose its status in relation to hierarchy of urban centres in Canada? Why did this happen?

Has Hamilton simply become another bedroom community of Toronto?

Or is Hamilton just rusting away as commuters zoom along the Burlington Skyway (the pictured bridge), the QEW, and the 403?