• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Joe Iliff said:
Is that a red double-decker bus in the top right quadrant?
I don't know about the top right, but there's definitely one in the top left corner...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
bturk said:
Kuala Lampur?

Singapore?
No.

No.

Does anybody out there other than bturk have a guess? I figure he'll get it eventually just by throwing names out. I'd like to see some analytical thoughts put in before I start with the clues...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Everyone is away for lunch! I'm going to keep going!

*evil laugh*

I'm guessing along the line of Brit influence combined with 'second world' = City #15. Mexico City was just for sh*ts and giggles.

New Dehli?

Bangalore?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
bturk said:

I'm guessing along the line of Brit influence combined with 'second world' = City #15. Mexico City was just for sh*ts and giggles.

New Dehli?

Bangalore?
Good deduction - the city was definitely in the British sphere of influence at one time.

This city is not in India.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Does anybody out there other than bturk have a guess? I figure he'll get it eventually just by throwing names out. I'd like to see some analytical thoughts put in before I start with the clues...
bturk just doesn't have anything better to do on a 100 degree Friday. :)

I'd guess, but I'd be totally guessing....outside of American Cities I don't know many...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
bturk said:
Karachi? (sp)

Bankok?
No - spelled correctly by the way

No - not spelled correctly (Bangkok)

The British influence has long since faded...

I have to go to a meeting now, so you'll just have to wait a bit for any further clues. In the meantime...think about it!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Okay - I'm back.

Nobody has got it so far.

It's not in S. Africa or N. American.

El Guapo is closest so far, at least with his temporal guess. I think the picture is c. 1983. There are probably a lot less cars on the road now...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
Hong Kong?
Somebody already guessed that. It's still wrong :)

Okay - it's getting close to quitting time, so rather than keep you all in suspense over the weekend, I will start with some clues.

If you don't get it from this clue, I will personally come and beat you about the head:

Right now it is very difficult to get here, but they are expecting a large influx of American tourists anytime now.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

Somebody already guessed that. It's still wrong :)

LOL... I even re-read some of the answers, and I *still* didn't see it. Oh well... are my blonde roots showing?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
was the capital of the known world and the garden of eden

lol dumb danie missed that part

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Looks like South American architecture, with European infrastructure. Not too many personal vehicles, so it's an older photo.

Buenos Aires. Uhhh ... nope.

Look at the traffic entering the circle .. from the left. Also, the pedestrian area inside the circle is covered. The curbing has black and white stripes, something mostly found in third world nations.

Looks like there's few private cars. South Africa, even in the 1970s (when this picture was probably taken), had a very high amount of personal vehicle ownership among the middle class, and the built environment of areas that weren't rural resembled what you would find in California. (Hell, South Africans at the time drove American cars with the steering wheels on the "wrong" side!) 1970s Salisbury (now Harare) looked more like a North American city than anything in the subcontinent or Europe. It's noplace in Zimbabwe. Really, no place in deep third world Africa, either. Besides, Cairo is the only city in Africa, period, with a subway.

Considering LHD countries that remain after the clues given on the board, and real obvious places where this sight won't be seen, we've got ...

Bangladesh
Brunei
Indonesia
Malaysia (outside KL)
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Thailand

Bah. I'll say Jakarta.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Guess my clue gave it away...Baghdad it is!

This is a pic of al-tahrir square - Liberation Square.

PlannerGirl's prize is a date with the man himself...

Attachments

el Guapo

Capitalist
Darn the luck

In 1991 I was within 125 miles of the place - armed to the teeth -with a bunch of similarly armed friends. It is one visit I wish I had made.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Darn the luck

El Guapo said:
In 1991 I was within 125 miles of the place - armed to the teeth -with a bunch of similarly armed friends. It is one visit I wish I had made.
My brother was there too, probably not as heavily armed, but one can do alot with a laser designator and a radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.