• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 157

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Hmmm, recent-looking pic of old-fashioned small city that had wildfires nearby...Kamloops, BC? (Or somewhere thereabouts)

GRID

Cyburbian
Would it be Boston? However, you don't hardly hear of wildfires by Boston. This is tricky...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Isn't Hartford, Connecticut "The City of Churches"?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
All of those matching church steeples have to be a part of some kind of private university. Down here in Texas we get haze from wildfires in Mexico. The buildings around there look a little too tall for this guess, but maybe Waco, TX with Baylor University?

JStein4716

Suburb Repairman said:
All of those matching church steeples have to be a part of some kind of private university. Down here in Texas we get haze from wildfires in Mexico. The buildings around there look a little too tall for this guess, but maybe Waco, TX with Baylor University?
Another hint: The church placement is an element of the original city plan.

The city is, I will admit, perhaps a tad obscure.

BKM

Cyburbian
When I saw the photo, I sorta knew. The first hint confirmed it. The churches are located on Church Circle in Kingsport, Tennessee.

Kingsport is a planned industrial city (Eastman Chemical, etc) in the northeastern mountains of Tennessee. Forest fires could definitely occur there. Its a pretty neat looking city, if a bit prim (and very, very "Organization Man" according to a social history I read excerpts from.) Beautiful setting, too. But, there is a horrible chemical tang in the air (let alone the water).