• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 162: Historic Edition 6

H

Cyburbian

There is actually a BIG hint in the photo so it should not be as ahrd as it looks. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It looks like it could be Water Street or Old World 3rd Street in Milwaukee.

H

Cyburbian
Hint: it is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I gotta know...what was the "big hint" in the first photo? Not knowing much about SLC or its history (other than it was founded by Mormons), I'm curious.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
DecaturHawk said:
I gotta know...what was the "big hint" in the first photo? Not knowing much about SLC or its history (other than it was founded by Mormons), I'm curious.
The hint was the width of the street.

The city layout was based on Joseph Smith's ideas about city planning. A notable characteristic of this plan was a grid pattern layout with square blocks oriented to the cardinal directions, wide streets (132 feet), alternating half-acre lots so that houses face alternate streets on each block, homes set back 25 feet from the street, frontyard landscaping, gardens in the backyard, farms located outside of town, and the designation of central blocks for temples, schools, and other public buildings.

When President Young issued instructions for establishing Salt Lake City, he established blocks with eight lots, 1.25 acres in size. As in Joseph Smith's plan, all streets were 132 feet wide and the houses on each block faced alternate streets, with each set 20 feet back from the sidewalk. The lots however, were much larger so that each could function as a minifarm with animals, barns, and gardens.

Last edited: