• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Guess the City 17: Grid Edition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, a variant on "Guess the City."

Ground rules:

1) On a scale of 1 to 10, keep it a 7 or less. No collections of igloos in the Yukon, small railroad towns in Kansas (all of which have the same grid), or teeny tiny villages in Asia that not even the most intrepid traveler would know about. The aerial or map should offer some clue regarding the city's location.

2) Air photos should cover a wide area, unless it shows a land use pattern unique to the city in question, a street grid that is well known in planner/urbanist circles, or a relatively unique geographic or geologic element that can be used as a clue to determine the location.

3) More ground rules may be added whenever I feel like it.

Let's begin.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
How about renaming this: "Guess the Region"?

Anyway, on your image, I'll guess Pasedena, CA.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Can we safely assume that north is to the top of the photo?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ok looks like a college campus to the 3 o'clock see the stadium and academic buildings

serious clifs by the sea, gets hilly real damn quick too

hummm

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
bturk said:
Can we safely assume that north is to the top of the photo?
North is at the top.

The image is dominated by one city, although I can't guarantee that unincorporated areas or portions of other municipalities aren't shown in the photo.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Berkeley?

Hmmmm... but I would have thought there is a freeway in there somewhere.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Wait... I see the freeway. Yup... I think this is Berkeley. Or maybe technically it could be Emeryville/Oakland/Berkeley/Alameda. But you get the gist. I'll say "East Bay".

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
nerudite said:
Berkeley?
Ding ding ding! Nerudie's got it!

Youe grand prize cannot be announced here, but it's tolerated in the subject city. Just look around your front bushes over the next few days.

nerudite

Cyburbian
That's okay...

It's pretty much tolerated here, too. I can share. :)

Plus, then I wouldn't have to smuggle it over the border. ;)

Bucky alum

i am sorry I didn't try to steal your prize, I had been debating to guess the Stanford campus but I was chickensh*t and when I decided to finally guess it, Neuradite had stolen the thunder! I guess you could call it the CAL-Stanford rivalry or something.

"Beer: Proof that God likes us and wants us to be happy"

Status
Not open for further replies.