• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Guess the City 174: Historic Edition 8

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Last photo had a hint?
Cedar Rapids Commission Co.

So maybe somewhere in Iowa ?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I know I know...

But I am not going to say... :) Too close to me... Not my city though.

(or did you get photo shop happy with adding text???)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Last photo had a hint?
Cedar Rapids Commission Co.

So maybe somewhere in Iowa ?
Darn it all! :-@ I carefully crop off the identifying labels on the postcards and usually look for giveaways on buildings, but I was quite sloppy on this one. Even the second photo is labelled, if you look closely on the bottom.

Mud Princess was the first to guess correctly. Did you know this town or see the telltale sign too?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I wish I would have seen this one sooner, as I would have guessed from the first photo. That's my home town, Cedar Rapids. You are looking east down Second Avenue from the Cedar River. The Merchants National Bank is the taller building in the middle, the one to the left of it is the Security Building, and the building in the left foreground by the river is the old Post Office and Federal Courthouse. All are still standing. The City Hall and the County Courthouse are on an island in the middle of the Cedar River, thus giving Cedar Rapids the nickname "Paris of the Midwest." The downtown area thrived as a retail center well into the 1980's because a large local department store owner (Armstrong) refused to abandon downtown for the mall. Unfortunately, his heirs could not keep it going and it closed in the early '90's. Still, downtown is fairly active and the neighborhoods surrounding the downtown are doing fairly well. The city grew by almost 12,000 in the 1990's. The local economy is kept strong by tech and agriculture industries as well as the city's proximity to the University of Iowa in nearby Iowa City. Cedar Rapids is the largest city in the US still using the commission form of government. A great town to grow up in. It would be a great town for me to raise my kids in, if a job would ever open there, but few ever do.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
The City Hall and the County Courthouse are on an island in the middle of the Cedar River, thus giving Cedar Rapids the nickname "Paris of the Midwest."
LOL. So that is what it takes to be a "Paris." I love small town boosterism!

Cedar Rapids is a nice place. My predecessor at this job went there from here. This job has a track record of sending people on to better cities.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
I wish I would have seen this one sooner, as I would have guessed from the first photo. That's my home town, Cedar Rapids.
Good. Now I can add this to your name on my postcards website.

You are the second Cyburbian to (unknowingly) have his hometown posted under my GTC threads. Bink had Virginia Beach a few months ago and it was already guessed by the time he saw the thread.

Here's another view:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
LOL. So that is what it takes to be a "Paris." I love small town boosterism!

Cedar Rapids is a nice place. My predecessor at this job went there from here. This job has a track record of sending people on to better cities.
Yes, I've met Jim, he's a nice guy. He's jumped to the private sector, working for a multi-disciplinary engineering firm with offices in Cedar Rapids.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Mud Princess was the first to guess correctly. Did you know this town or see the telltale sign too?
Sorry, SAC. I've never been to Iowa. But it looks like a nice city.